• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AOR AR-2002, Smoother and faster tuning

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
Anyone who owns an AR-2002 knows how frustrating the tuning knob is. Its hard-detented with loud "clicks" - you go nowhere fast. Luckily there's an easy fix that gives smoother, faster and quiet tuning. It only involves replacing the AR-2002's shaft encoder with that from another AOR receiver.

The AOR AR-3000A has a smooth-turning, high resolution shaft encoder. This successfully replaces the AR-2002's clunky & loud encoder. The best news is that AR-3000A shaft encoders are readily available, cheap, from a gentleman in California, Richard Robinson, K4EIH/6, jazz101@san.rr.com.

The wire colors are different between the 2 encoders, so just be sure to match them as follows.

(AR-2002) White - (AR-3000A) Red
(AR-2002) Blue - (AR-3000A) Black
(AR-2002) Black - (AR-300A) Brown

I performed this substitution without soldering. I also replaced the small tuning knob itself with a larger one from a Ray Jefferson radio. Any larger knob with a ¼" fitting will work.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.