• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

APRS???

Funny you should mention that. I was just talking to a trucker passing through last week that runs it. I was thinking of saving a little cash to look for a handheld gps so I could try it out. The site www.findu.com is pretty cool to track all the guys running aprs...

I know what APRS is, I just dont get it? Why run it in your semi or car or any vehicle for that matter? What does it provide for the "average user"?

Your location? not to sound cruel but who gives a rats ass where any amateur radio operator is? Maybe in a search and rescue where an amateur is "helping" but other than that,,,,,,,,,who wants to watch where you travel on a computer,,,,whats the benefit? I just dont get it.

I pretty much agree with you HH.There is the odd time when it may be of interest to the family of a traveling ham.I know one fellow that had APRS set up in his motorhome and had an HF link.He and his wife were retired and he set it up when traveling across Canada so his daughter back home in Nova Scotia could get an idea of where they were.Not really necessary of course but just something he did because he could and it was kind of neat for his daughter to be able to keep track of them in real time when they were traveling across the country.

WB4APR is local. I watched him sending QRM on a local packet freq sending "testing now and forever" using the U. S. Naval Academy's ham station every ten seconds. I was one of several packet BBS stations on that freq, and it almost shut the whole network on the freq down. He was testing APRS beacons there and forgot to shut it off.

APR is a gadget freak. He's always fooling with some sort of ham experiment. He put an ATV repeater on top of a water tower at the Academy (he teaches there) that gets a lot of use. He figured out a method to use CATV hardline for ham use, "homebrewed" a simple packet BBS on a VIC-20, uses a HUGE satillite dish on Academy grounds to run EME with ham midshipmen.

I fooled around with APRS as did many of the group of hams that I'm friends with but lost interest in it. It's basically just a toy for gadget freaks. It does hava a serious public service purpose such as where the end of a parade is or where various hams along a run event are, but otherwise, it's just a toy. Some people are way into it, just like some people are way into DXing or CW. It's just something to do.

Geezzzzzzzz all I did was ask a simple ???? APRS is widely used around here in conjunction with the NWS. I have a full blown aprs system in my truck ... the nws can track me as well as other spotters and can overlay the aprs mapping on the radar. Now I know why I quit postin on here. 73's

As Bart Simpson would say,"Don't have a cow man!". Nobody was hostile towards you.OK so people did not jump right in and say "I do. I do." in response to your question.Anytime a question is asked some will answer outright and others will offer an opion of the subject in question.For the AVERAGE ham APRS is just a useless toy.In your case being involved with the NWS it is a usefull tool.I'll bet that if you stated that you had a full blown system and why and then asked the question you would have had more answers of the kind you were looking for.

KD5VIU said:
Geezzzzzzzz all I did was ask a simple ???? APRS is widely used around here in conjunction with the NWS. I have a full blown aprs system in my truck ... the nws can track me as well as other spotters and can overlay the aprs mapping on the radar. Now I know why I quit postin on here. 73's

Well, I started the "toy" bit. Everything in ham radio is a toy in one sense or another. And I did recognize that it has a serious side to it. The group of hams here who made up the very first APRS network all were enthusiastic about it. But they're interested in anything new. Bob put storm location in the very first version he released for general use and that came about because a local ham thought it would be a good idea.

I meant no disrespect towards APRS. It's just not something I'm interested in. It was fun to watch the display as people moved around but it just was not something that interested me further.

No one said anything negative. Not really. It is a toy. So is my Yaesu MP-1000 MK V Field. And my FT-817. They have their possible uses in emergencies but 99% of their use is to play with.

KD5VIU said:

Please understand I was not trying to bash or belittle you , my comment was I just didnt get APRS, this hobby is all about enjoying radio and if APRS is your thing more power to you. Heck I dont even get CW :LOL: I dont understand why people would want to communicate with each other with beeps and blops,,,,,,,,thats just me,,,,,,,I just dont get CW and its benefit.

Again thats me,,,,,,,,

At one time I was going to buy a GPS for my TH-D7AG and the TM-D700A but as I was looking at the GPS and the cost and what would it get me I said,,,,,,,,,,,hmmmmmm what indeed?
And never followed up on it. IN FACT APRS was the reason I bought those 2 radios because I thought it was neat.

No need to quit posting, we would love more amateur radio activity on this forum.

Please feel welcome with your comments and enthusiasm for the radio hobby.

The MP-1000 MK V Field a toy? Your grounded from that toy send it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!! :D

No one said anything negative. Not really. It is a toy. So is my Yaesu MP-1000 MK V Field. And my FT-817. They have their possible uses in emergencies but 99% of their use is to play with.

Happy_Hamer said:
The MP-1000 MK V Field a toy? Your grounded from that toy send it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!! :D

[/quote]

No! It's MY toy! You can't play with it! No you can't, you MEAN PERSON!! Go away or I'll tell momma!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.