1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

are dei transistors any better now?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by groundwire, Dec 30, 2017.

1. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver
    Expand Collapse

To answer your question DEI transistors have not gotten any better or worse, they are what they are. The only update is they are no longer made so what ever supply of them are left is all there is.

2. Onelasttime

Onelasttime
    Expand Collapse

You know we do not even know what Chinese semiconductor company makes DEI bjt's!!!

3. Onelasttime

Onelasttime
    Expand Collapse

The problem is that part of a transistor is grown and that is one problem. The next is that companies like Toshiba and Motorola do not use off the shelf machinery they build their own machinery. So if you do not have the recipe for the waffers and you do not have the machinery that places the transistors on the die you can not duplicate them. It would be like some guy in his back yard attempting to make a Ferrari V12 in his back yard with out knowing the exact alloys used, processes used and with out the same machinery used. You might make an engine that looks the same and some of the parts might interchange as well but it will never be the exact same thing.

The reason Macoms MRF454 is the same and drop in for Motorola parts is because they have bought the recipe and the machinery and license rights! I am sure companies could do that with Toshiba parts if they wanted to spend the money but they do not do they?!?!

4. psycho

psycho
    Expand Collapse
    Running a special on our rooms!

The DEIs can't handle the abuse a Toshiba can and the output is definitely not up in the Toshiba category.....but still OK.
    I would use DEI transistors before I would ever put crappy Chinese made Nexen, Kumho or Nitto tires on my pickup.
    If the Chinese make nuclear weapons and ICBMs with their wonderful quality, we have nothing to worry about.

#19 psycho, Jan 14, 2018 at 11:25 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 11:31 PM
  5. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I will say this about the DEI transistors, they are better than nothing at all. If you have an amp you need to fix they do fill the hole in the circuit board better than nothing.If you install them just turn the A/B bias down so you don't exceed the maximum rating of the DEI parts. Drive them easy.