• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Are repeaters used that much anymore?

My area has several 2 meter machines,and most of them get a fair bit of use,mainly during drive time mornings and afternoons.

Dont have any 440 machines around Joplin running,there are a few just out of my radio range.I try to get into them when I am in those areas on my way to work.

Personally I dont have any issues with using repeaters,I do spend a good bit of time on them while going to work.

I am not a member of any club,most of the " so called " clubs have the above mentioned eliteist personality that I just simply am not fond of.There is a 2 meter club close to my area that simply will not talk to you if you are not a member of their clique,if you do get lucky enough to make a contact with one of their members when they find out you are not a member they tend to quickly find a reason to end the qso....needless to say I no longer have that repeater in any of my radios

We have a bunch of 2m repeters up here and some 70cm. It's good for the community in case of a disaster. I use them sometimes,but after a few weeks of listening to the same 6 or 7 hams it gets pretty boring for a new Tech.

I thought it would be a bit differant. Don't get me wrong, there a good group of guys and gals. Very helpful, and really will bend over backwards trying to help you along. It's just not that exciting yet. I went to a field day, and I really don't think I will ever be into contesting again. Just not my thing.

I guess I will have to study for the General, and get a HF rig and see how that goes. The tech ticket is to restrictive to justify buying a Hf, dealing with antenna tuners or an antenna farm.

shoot this thread is about repeters. Yeah we have them and they are used. LOL!

I really get a kick out of people trashing others about the conversation they have on 2 meters. Repeaters are there to rag chew unless there is a controled net going on. If you do not like the subject jump in and talk about something else. If not leave.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Here in Bluemont, VA repeater, WA4TSC, 147.300 there is a GOOD bit of activity.

Albeit, it is heavier during the rush hours.

Another repeater is in Martinsburg, WV, WB8YZV equipped with echolink, 147.255 there is not as much activity.

Each repeaters has Traffic nets in the evening.

Thirty-five miles away in Berkeley Springs, WV, KK3L is equipped with All Star and is a Linked Lan System for quite a ways.

I hear up into well up into Pennsylvania.

Last two repeaters have a PL during part of the day of 123.0.

WA4TSC has PL of 146.2 after midnight.

Well, our 6 meter repeater is up and running. 100 watts @ 90'. Really great coverage and they just decided to link it with the local 440 machine and not the 2 meter.

Located in Lancaster, ohio.

Receive: 53.09

Reactions: 1 person
We have two repeaters locally, one 2 meters and one 70 cm. There are a three more not here in town but are ours. The UHF repeaters are all linked into the 'W5IAS' link system so cover quite a large area, most of Oklahoma, some Arkansas, Kansas, and Texas. There are a couple of these repeaters/links in the process of being moved/repaired/messed with so all are not on all the time. One is located in such a place that no one really wants to visit very often (helps if you drive a dozer).
All are used with the local EOC for various things but are open except when stated otherwise.
Are they used often? Depends on what's happening, who'z at work, at the lake, watching TV etc. There aren't a huge number of hams here so that 'work/lake/TV/etc.' can mean quiet repeaters. You can bet that someone's listening, but may be too busy to answer calls. 'Bout normal, isn't it?
There's also a local digipeater and two 'Igates'. At least one more 'digi' is in the works, and who knows what may happen with that.
The local club's call is 'W5CUQ', there's a web site.
- 'Doc

(I'm a secret club officer. My title is 'The Official Excuse'. Tough job but somebody has to do it...)

Well, our 6 meter repeater is up and running. 100 watts @ 90'. Really great coverage and they just decided to link it with the local 440 machine and not the 2 meter.

Located in Lancaster, ohio.

Receive: 53.09

I might give it a try trom EM55,.... is there an input pl?

most of VHF/UHF is dead here.

In my city we got four 2 meter repeaters and 2 440 machines, 440's are dead about all the time. 3 of the 4 2meter machines are dead outside of the worthless nets. the last one which is one I own has the most activity but I allow people to do what they do and dont jump on them if they stray to a political or controversal topic unlike the other machines

Back in the early 80's there were about 28 2 meter, 220, and 440 repeaters in the area I am in. These repeaters were so busy every day all day and late into the night that you almost had to wait in line to make a contact of just say hello to someone, they were super busy. I used to use many of them daily, not only during drive time to work, but in the evenings and weekends just to chat with some of the great people who used them.

After several years I had some problems, and had to put my radio gear in moth balls, and this year I took my gear and set it all back up, but unfortunately I didn't hear much. I wasn't discouraged, I thought maybe some of the repeaters had shut down in the 10 years I was gone. I began hearing some activity on a few repeaters, so I invested in some new VHF/UHF gear. I spent close to $1000 on a new dual band mobile and several nice hand helds so i could be current with the rigs.

My big disappointment came after listening for several weeks, then talking to one of the guys on a local repeater, he too was gone for almost 10 years, and said when he came back almost all the 28 repeaters were useless, or had been closed down due to lack of use. There are only a small handfull of guys that use the repeaters now, and it's only at drive time to and from work or if they venture out to get something at the local stores. Overall it's very dead with the exception of those useless nets.

It's a shame really, the repeaters are there, they work well, yes there is very little activity. I use HF but still would like to see the uhf/vhf repeaters have more activity.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.