• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Are these common channel mods?

Yep, that's a pretty common roadmap for channels in a 148.

27.415-27.445 require another switch and are usually not installed, altho some people do have them put in.

~Cheers~

OK. So the clarifier turned full CCW is: -10KC and @12 O clock it's -5KC. So do I want it all the way to the right to tune the frequency associated with the channel and then turn it to the left to tune a frequency in between it or the next lower channel? ( I'm not sure what a KC is right now)

Thanks

Last edited:
i would put the clairifer back into range and not worry about the a channels, if you really had to have them becuse you use them you can add two more switches other wise you can use one if you only using the down ables like 19a.

with full slide on the clairifer it makes the ssb on the radio utterly usless without a 10 turn pot in there.

KC = kilocycle

Kilocycle = kilohertz

Channel 19 is a frequency of 27.1850 or 27.185.0

The frequency breaks down like this.

2 x10 megahertz
7 x1 megahertz
1 x100 kilohertz
8 x 10 kilohertz
5 x1 kilohertz
0 x100 hertz

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

with full slide on the clairifer it makes the ssb on the radio utterly usless without a 10 turn pot in there.

Could you explain this to me, with what symptoms I might experience? I've tried several times to make contacts on SSB, often being able to hear people but then seemingly not hearing me. Could this be related to what you're describing?

Thanks.

If you have been messing with clarifier mods you probably have it all jacked up. I would send it in to someone that knows WTF they are doing and has the right equipment to get it fixed. Sorry but just calling it like it is.

I bought the radio new and modified as it is now, from what was widely regarded as a competent shop. (Canyon Radio). I haven't touched it.

Your comments provide zero help.

I bought the radio new and modified as it is now, from what was widely regarded as a competent shop. (Canyon Radio). I haven't touched it.

Your comments provide zero help.

Well some people understand how to run SSB and some don't. Did you do the "channel mod" in the sleeper of your big orange truck er what? Maybe that's the problem nuff said.

OK. So the clarifier turned full CCW is: -10KC and @12 O clock it's -5KC. So do I want it all the way to the right to tune the frequency associated with the channel and then turn it to the left to tune a frequency in between it or the next lower channel? ( I'm not sure what a KC is right now)

Thanks

a kc shift/ khz shift should be set up to have around -5 khz swing slightly before full CCW and +5 khz swing just before full CW, the mid point should be set up so the radio is dead on frequency. anymore than +/- 5 khz is pointless as you can cover that from the previous /next channel anyway as channels are 10 khz spacing. the more swing you give a clarifier the more frequency stability suffers.

as for the frequency mod, they are very common among those who hack up radios, they are even worse than epromming,

i've said this a hundred times, if you need to modify a radio for extra frequency coverage (other than opening up an exports full potential), you bought the wrong radio to begin with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.