• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Arizona desert Umbrella Antenna

will85w4

Apr 12, 2010
Coachella Valley, So Cal
My dad was telling me about an umbrella antenna out in the middle of the Arizona desert that is located on an abandoned military base that a lot of radio operators will go out to and hook up their equipment to. Anyone heard of this?

I remember seeing something of that sort a while back. Basically an HF 'disk-cone' type thingy. People who wanted to use it had to check nto the office handling that and request a 'time'. There are rules of use, no idea what they are though.
- 'Doc

HAHAHA I nearly fell out of my chair when I read this!!!!! My father who lives in NM and is a ham, has a neighbor (good friends) who has two of these in his yard and 3 spares laying on the ground!!! They are rather normal, found at military surplus companies. It is refered to as a cage. If anyone would like specifics, I can ask john about the antenna.

HAHAHA I nearly fell out of my chair when I read this!!!!! My father who lives in NM and is a ham, has a neighbor (good friends) who has two of these in his yard and 3 spares laying on the ground!!! They are rather normal, found at military surplus companies. It is refered to as a cage. If anyone would like specifics, I can ask john about the antenna.

I have never been to New Mexico, but have never seen one of these elsewhere either, but, then again this is probably normal in New Mexico as well.

Attachments

• ufo2.jpg
    ufo2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 220
  • ufo.jpg
    ufo.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 154
(y)

Antenna has a 2:1 SWR on 5 thru 30mhz.
Still, I would use a tuner just the same.
Some pics from that site:

Attachments

• DisconeSolo-600x480.jpg
    DisconeSolo-600x480.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DisconeClubStation01-600x450.jpg
    DisconeClubStation01-600x450.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DisconeBox-198x480.jpg
    DisconeBox-198x480.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 196
In 5 minute intervals every 5 miles in a perpendicular pattern along the border for a distance of 50 miles 24/7/365.

That or install an extremely high voltage fence that is buried in the ground at least a good 50 feet and an additional 50 feet above ground...That'll stop the tunneling and anyone who wants to play with that high voltage, well, so be it...Then just to add insult to injury if they did make through the fence, have the Predator drones patrolling like you say...LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.