• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ARRL to FCC: “Grow Light” Ballast Causes HF Interference, Violates Rules

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
The ARRL has formally complained to the FCC, contending that a “grow light” ballast being widely marketed and sold is responsible for severe interference to the MF and HF bands. The League urged Commission action to halt sales of the Lumatek LK-100 electronic ballast and to recall devices already on store shelves or in the hands of consumers. In a March 12 letter to the Commission’s Enforcement...

More...

Through some prolonged studies, I have determined that Obamacare causes interference to HF transmissions. FCC should look into that.

Reactions: 4 people
we tracked down a house full of 15+ ebay switching ballasts up the road from my ham buddy, he had s9+ across hf bands,
the occupier fled the scene in the early hours never to return,

they are cheaper to buy and run than old magnetic ballasts, the downside is you are likely blasting rfi around your neighborhood that turns off and on in well known patterns making it pretty obvious whats going on like a BUST ME beacon,

using cheap ballasts is similar to nailing an IGROW sign to your gate.

Two points for the ARRL getting Charlie to consider doing their job. Remember if they were doing their job, this junk would never make it to the market in the first place.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.