• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic AST-878DM Base Mic

Mr Clean

May 21, 2005
Anyone used this mic. I have one and it squeals like a pig if you turn it to were the mod needs to be. Found out they are having a recall on this mic for this reason. I sent mine in and should get another in a week or so. They told me the new ones work fine. The company I work for makes the plastic used to make it. Its called Cycolac. If you have one of these mics call BarJan. They look nice for a newer style mic. Hoping it works even better. Will give a update on the replacement when I get it in.

Got a replacement from Barjan. Night and day difference in the two. Not bassy or bright and tinny. Got to hear it talking to the wife and it is loud and oh so clear. 0 squealing like the first run. Astatic has a winner in this new mic. The company I work for makes the plastic in the mic. If looking for a base mic this one will be hard to beat. It works great with my 95T anyway. Nice looking mic. Maybe not quite the looks of the D104 but I think they look sharp. Check them out! For around 60 bucks im getting another!

I dont think it is as bright sounding. Just loud and clear. Been told I never sounded so loud. Used a handheld D104 and a Road Devil. Always got great reports but I think this one sounds better on the 95T anyway. I need to try it on some other radios and I will.

Hooked up the Grant XL with this mic and matches great with this radio also. I was talking to a friend who drives a truck on 19 and a guy jumped in and comented on how clean and natural my radio sounded. Granted on that channel they dont hear many clean sounding radios. I got to hear it also with the Grant and sounds perfect to my ear. A year from now alot of people will be using one im sure.

i would like to hear one, for $60 i can get a pair of lollypop d104's or a damn nice eagle. im hoping they dont use the mobile d104 element as its nothing like the origional mic's. its hard to beat the origional's so we shall see how these really do compare.

Oh I love the D104s dont get me wrong. I just think this is a great one also! I also like the handheld version for a handmic.

Picked up a Silver Eagle D104 to do some side by side testing. Just with the 95T so far. Had it 3 days and in blind tests it been about 70 to 30 in favor of the new AST878DM. Talked to some locals this morning some Hams and some not but some of the more seasoned guys that know a thing or two about radio and all of the love the D104 for AM 11 meters. With both hitting 100 percent mod peak on meter they favored Astatics new mic on my 95 and afew said they hated to admit it. Talked with a guy on SSB with a Kenwood and he stated a export isnt suppose to sound so good. These are my findings and im sticking to it. I will not make any more posts on the subject. A year fom now im sure alot of people will be using them. Peace

Ive been using one for some time now. It compares no way in audio, or sound to the D-104. That being said. Its a terrific mic. It does not pick up half of the fan noise my d104 does but the directionality of it keeps my voice loud and clear. AM or SSB I get great reports on my heavily modded 696F ssb. It will never be, or come close to a D-104 for sound, but Astatic got this on right.

Ive been using one for some time now. It compares no way in audio, or sound to the D-104. That being said. Its a terrific mic. It does not pick up half of the fan noise my d104 does but the directionality of it keeps my voice loud and clear. AM or SSB I get great reports on my heavily modded 696F ssb. It will never be, or come close to a D-104 for sound, but Astatic got this on right.

So are you saying you like the mic as well. You said it was loud and clear but then say it in no way comes close to the D104 sound. I think you are saying you like the D104 better. Am I right?

Yes, I like it alot. I do like the D-104 better. Basically I think the D-104 audio wise will mash the 878 for pure loudness, but we all know loudness isn't good audio. The 878 is clean and clear with loud, but less than punchy sound. I think this is a great mic. I won't be parting with the good D-104, but I'll keep this one as well.

I like the mic but like the previous poster said for pure badazz audio you cant beat a D 104. The 878 seems to be not quite as sensitive as a D 104 and it does have a mellower sound to it. I have my 878 hooked to a Tempo One that i use on the HF bands.

Also, the Amp board is 100% SMT so nobody can tamper with the parts. Too bad too as this would be a cool mic to do some audio mods to. I also noticed astatic placed a weight in the bottom to beef up the heft of the mic. Kinda cheesy IMHO but whatever. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.