• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic Model UG8 D-104 Mic

madvillebirdman

studio musician
Oct 29, 2008
Jacksonville Florida
I recieved an Astatic Model UG8 D-104 Crystal Microphone that used to belong to my Dad. Anybody know much about these? It's vintage but brand new. I was wondering are they any good for modern CB use?
It looks really nice. It's never been out of the box except when I got it today and looked at it. The Mic head is still wrapped in thick factory paper and has complete warranty and instructions. I can tell by the box it is vintage and the picture on the box looks like a microphone a DJ would use. I'm wondering what would it be good for nowadays. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

If the mic is really old, it has a high impedance which won't work too good with most modern low-impedance rigs. There are ways to make it work, but it is some work. However, there is still demand for these mics since there are a lot of guys using old boat anchor radios on both the ham and cb bands. They love to find stuff like this that works really well with the old stuff.

So this mic is pretty much useless? It's a shame, because it has never even been out of the box.

Madman, I use one on my new Galaxy DX2547 Base an it works perfect an sounds great. Those old mics work on a lot of the newer radios just fine.

If ya don't use it, keep it put up in the box for a few more years an you'll be surprised what it will bring then....

Ron

The D104 mic head is getting hard to find in good working condition.

If the stand you have is un-amplified it will only work with some older tube type radios.

Amplified stands are a dime a dozen. Grab one off ebay and use the mic head atop it. That combination will work with just about any radio.

The mic is definitely not useless...

I don't know anything at all about ham radios and cb's, but if the mic doesn't work for your rig, a vintage Astatic crystal element alone should draw good money on ebay. Blues harmonica players kill for that kind of stuff, there is nothing that sounds better than a vintage crystal element from either Shure or Astatic... If you can't use it, post it on ebay, I'll probably even bid on it myself...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.