• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic Power Desk Mic

bigal46563

Jul 1, 2010
Would like to add a little info. here. I order a new RCI-2950DX from Redman CB shop. When i ordered it i also wanted to get a new mic. I was going to get the SuperStar Silver Salute mic. Redman told me that the Astatic AST-878DM mic would be better. This man sure does know what he is talking about. I went ahead and order the AST-878DM. And i have to tell you it is one of the best sounding mics i have ever had. If you are in the market for a good mic, than i would go with this mic. I have had people tell me on the air, that it is the best sounding radio and mic that they have heard in a long time. Just wanted to put a plug in for this mic. YOU WILL LIKE IT VERY MUCH.

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 417

I had one of these, briefly. Tried it on both my Kenwood and my Icom. It sounded pretty good but picked up everything and I didnt like bending down to talk into it. Ended up putting a thick book on the operating desk for it to sit on. It had RF feedback issues with both radios though (even at 100W) and I had very good grounding and no issues with any other mic (or PC, or other audio device), so I returned it.

If Astatic came out with one that had a longer neck and a metal body I'd give it a shot.

Glad you like yours, though.

Rick

They are loud and clear! Alittle short but I love mine. First batch squealed like pigs but this has been fixed.

I actually have one of these I'm looking to sell. It has the adjustment dial on the front-top area right there, so you can adjust the modulation without flipping it over. It's brand new and only used for a few minutes. It didn't match well with my voice and my 2985-DX.

I'd like to get $50.00 shipped. Contact via email @ this_is_nascar@verizon.net if interested.

crap

I have one, and I cant even get good loud audio out of mine, everyone says I am in the dinky weeds, untill I put the silver eagle on, then Watch out, makes my uniden washington sing!

Call me strange, but I've never understood the nostalgia behind buying microphones designed and built in the 1970s (especially since their quality is hit or miss, at best).

What exactly is wrong with buying a modern microphone (for the same price) like an SM-85 or MXL 3000 (mine)? Even the cheapest of today's microphones outperform the best of yesterday's.

How many people out there are pining for the days when those "old-school" 300 baud modems were "so much better" than today's high-speed connections?

I'm actually flabbergasted at the prices people are willing to pay for old technology when when newer technology will so the same job for a fraction of the price.

Is it because people want to claim, "Well, I realize that I can have the same audio quality for $100 with modern equipment, but I wanted to pay in excess of $500 so that I could have something on my desk that looks like something out of the 1930s?"

Glad I found this first. I was looking around for a desk mic for the RCI and saw this advertised in Google. I see this one posted by the OP does not have the channel buttons on it. How does that work out? I tried a 6 pin Uniden Mic from my 980ssb and when I turned on the 2985 it just started rolling through all the channels, no way to stop it.

I don't think I would like one of those WW2 art deco lollipops though, have to grab and choke it every time you want to talk. How old would that get? I'd rather just use one finger on a PTT button on the base. I'm lazy. ;)

If I had a sataion that eas of 70's vintage I would want a 70's era microphone with it. BTW just necause it wad maxe in the 70's or whenever in no way means it is of inferior quality. There are plenty of cheap quality goods being made today. I must admit that a Kenwood TS-520 from the late 70's would look really out of place with a microphone made in 2013 not to mention that the impedance of the mic would not likly match the impedance of the radio. Things change and sometimes the new is incompatable with tne old.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.