• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

astron 10a power supply trouble

troyota

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 9, 2007
hello,
i have a rs-10a astron that i received not working. i have tried to get it going but have had no luck. i will list the things i have done. maybe i missed something simple.
first off i have 28v on the large cap screws, also have 29v on the input for the 723, pin 12 i think.
i found the pass transistor shorted , so i replaced it to begin with.
i did have to replace the 723 due to no 7v refrence voltage. so now i have the 7v on pins 5 and 6.
.5v on pin pin 4
2v on pin 10
i replaced the damaged tip29 with a tip120 thats all i had.
i found D5 open so i replaced it.
the 5w 1/2 ohm ww resistor was open, so i jumped it to test until i order one.

r1,r2,r3,r4, and d1,d2,d4, all check out to spec.
i have .5v on the output terminals. i did try another 723 just for giggles with no luck, i discharged all caps before anything was checked or replaced.
i know this is only a 10a, but its a doorstop now. i also got 2 more 20a units the same way, i was hoping to cut my teeth on the 10a first.
any ideas please??
thanks troy
kv4d
almost forgot, i have read the articles on repeater builder and seits numerous times. maybe i missed something.

ok it has been brought to my attention that the tip29 is not compatable with the tip120. so there is a problem right there. i have ordered the parts and will replace the 120 with the 29 when it comes in.

I had a problem with mine, and the manufacturer was extremely efficient. Astron answers their customer calls the old-fashioned way: with a real person. I was issued a code/number to return my power supply for repairs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.