• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AudioShockWave........

DXman

Yes, that's 3100 degrees F. Nine yrs of hard work.
Apr 5, 2005
West Coast - Washington
Hey Jeff - if your going to talk to Marconi in Houston, then you are going to have to get your signal going south - not up here to Washington- OK!

What I am saying is...I think half your signal came up here (6 on the scale)!

Ya Tony - Horizontal antennas sure pick up the craziest signals at times..........

My beam was pointing N.W. (Alaska) when I heard him...little bit of "back scatter" ya think?

Ya Tony - Horizontal antennas sure pick up the craziest signals at times..........

My beam was pointing N.W. (Alaska) when I heard him...little bit of "back scatter" ya think?

Most likely just strong enough of a signal to be picked up regardless of which way your beam was pointed. I get Europeans here at S-8 or 9 all the time on the back/side of the beam but course they are 20/9 on the front.

Most likely just strong enough of a signal to be picked up regardless of which way your beam was pointed. I get Europeans here at S-8 or 9 all the time on the back/side of the beam but course they are 20/9 on the front.
Well actually I can not talk to any one in California at this time of the year, even tho I do hear lots of them on backscatter. When I turn the beam down their way, they disappear.

Right now as I writing this, there is lots of stations coming in from S. Cal, but they are on back scatter and I just swung the beam south and they "poof" - all gone!

Well actually I can not talk to any one in California at this time of the year, even tho I do hear lots of them on backscatter. When I turn the beam down their way, they disappear.

Yep, that's backscatter then. That's pretty much the only sure fire way to determine if it is backscatter.If you turn the beam at them and the signal drops, it's backscatter.

I remember 2 years ago I was getting that pretty bad and at times drove me nuts!! You hear them and know where they are and spin the beam to make a better contact and there gone!! You Scratch your melon looking at the radio and say to yourself REALLY!?

The best part is you spin the beam back around and ahh haaaaaaaaa there they are again so you keyup give out a shout and they talk to you!

I remember 2 years ago I was getting that pretty bad and at times drove me nuts!! You hear them and know where they are and spin the beam to make a better contact and there gone!! You Scratch your melon looking at the radio and say to yourself REALLY!?

The best part is you spin the beam back around and ahh haaaaaaaaa there they are again so you keyup give out a shout and they talk to you!

Wait until you hear someone with a decent signal but an eerie echo (not from a stupid echo mike etc) and then turn the beam at them and the echo goes away as the signal gets stronger. Turn it away from them again and the signal drops a bit but the echo comes back. That one had me scratching my old noggin for a while until I realized what it was. Any guesses?

Wait until you hear someone with a decent signal but an eerie echo (not from a stupid echo mike etc) and then turn the beam at them and the echo goes away as the signal gets stronger. Turn it away from them again and the signal drops a bit but the echo comes back. That one had me scratching my old noggin for a while until I realized what it was. Any guesses?

Short path and long path would be my guess, but the long path isn't strong enough to be heard when the beam is pointed towards the short path.

Second guess is Deja Vu

I've heard that "echo", but, only when the beam was pointing at the station, what I figured out was; the conditions got so strong at one point, that the echo was produced, then in a few minutes the echo subsided.

I've heard this several time now in the last year, weather it be 3000 miles or 1500 distance, but only on ssb that I've heard it.

Did you try to call? I had most of the eastern United States blasting away this afternoon.....and I am sure I heard Marconi, he was talking about a Astroplane and getting Aluminum tubing and then he talked to 427 i think....I made several calls, and one time I think he heard me....but there where too many stations in there on 38 LSB....in fact I call still hear all kinds of stations blasting away from the radio room as I am typing this message........

Jeff

Short path and long path would be my guess, but the long path isn't strong enough to be heard when the beam is pointed towards the short path.

Second guess is Deja Vu

Correct. Long path and short path at the same time.

I've heard that "echo", but, only when the beam was pointing at the station, what I figured out was; the conditions got so strong at one point, that the echo was produced, then in a few minutes the echo subsided.

I've heard this several time now in the last year, weather it be 3000 miles or 1500 distance, but only on ssb that I've heard it.

Not sure how strong conditions could produce an echo other than longpath at the same time as short path.In that case the echo should j=have been heard when the beam was pointed away from the station unless his signal was going around the world past you and coming back over his station to you again after traveling all the way around the world and then some. Happens but very rare.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.