• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV5R. Confused After FCC Call

Deus

Aug 25, 2010
A good friend of mine actually called the FCC and they told him the Baofeng was fine to use on MURS!! :headbang I'm confused.

According to the rules, it isn't legal, plain and simple. The FCC person was incorrect unless there was a recent change in the regulation. Unless your friend got it in writing or a recording, its gonna be difficult to prove if busted.

According to the rules, it isn't legal, plain and simple. The FCC person was incorrect unless there was a recent change in the regulation. Unless your friend got it in writing or a recording, its gonna be difficult to prove if busted.

It is Part 90 compliant which allows use on commercial business band. MURS requires it be Part 95 compliant which it is not. IIRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I have several emails from the FCC saying that all Ranger radios are legal, and it didn't stop them from bringing lawsuits. The official position is the FCC is not bound by the statements of its employees because they are apparently too stupid to know what they are talking about.

Reactions: 2 people
Part 90 is still not part 95.
The very best thing to do is call the FCC yourself and get the scoop right from the source.
They will answer your question, and most times will give you a case number you can refer to.
This is the same thing that happened when Ron called and asked if it was legal to use export radios on the Amature bands.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
does anyone actually use murs other than walmart and some older buisnesses. it was a flop from day one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.