• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base amps.

Both Visa and Master Card prohibit a vendor from requiring a phone number, address, or other personal information as a condition of sale, it is a condition that the vendor agrees to if they want to accept the card.

If that's the case, it would appear the "Virtual Terminal" system violates this rule with every single credit card transaction. They actually provide specific boxes to enter the address and phone number as part of the confirmation process to be sure they match the billing information associated with the card. It's called fraud prevention and has become quite popular. These rules may be more dependant on the company or bank that is actually processing the credit card payment rather than the company issuing the card.

Reactions: 2 people
You can ask for the information and enter it in the Virtual Terminal but its optional. If you click the "Hide Optional Information, all that appears is the amount and credit card number and exp date.

I suspect the policies for card swipes (in person) and online or phone sales (also known as higher risk sales) are different. In person, you can require an ID to verify the person is the cardholder. That will have their address on it. The customer may not even own a phone, as is the case with some of my local customers.

CbRadiosPRONTO

I see 2 problems here.

Both Visa and Master Card prohibit a vendor from requiring a phone number, address, or other personal information as a condition of sale, it is a condition that the vendor agrees to if they want to accept the card. If they follow the correct procedure including checking signatures and they get an authorization, both MC and Visa guarantee payment so there is no legitimate need to require it. It's also illegal to try to do it in about 10 states although I don't think Oregon is one of them (nor is NH).

The 2nd is that while they'll sell most stuff without requiring proof of license it is HRO's quoted policy to only sell 12/10m capable amps or upgrade kits to enable 12/10m after verifying you do have a valid license. So, it sounds to me that this manager needs a refresher on what things are allowed and what things may be required.

Doesn't a company have the right to simply refuse service?

Sure they do. They still have the right to refuse service, however; if you sign an agreement with Visa/MasterCard that states one thing, then you have to abide by that or risk losing your merchant solutions.

CbRadiosPRONTO

I did have a Texas Star DX-350 hdv along with the Iota 55 amp supply. It would trip my 20 amp breaker when I plugged it in. Then I found I could use a power strip and use the switch to turn it on. As usual I had to add a fan to the Texas star etc. Then I sold both. Fans power supply for the radio. separate power supply for the amp. Was just to much and wanted to get a nice base box. Might just look into the Ameritron line of amps.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.