• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base antenna

Andy

Feb 9, 2007
USA - Illinois
I know Mr. Coily (the Enforcer) and the I-10K are the best base antennas you can get. But for people on a little tighter of a budget. What would be a couple other suggestion? I have an A-99 now and I'm looking to upgrade it for better DX performance.

Thanks again for your help!!
Andy

Andy,
Probably the 'cheapest' solution is to get your present antenna higher. Unfortunately, the sunspot cycle being where it is, there's just not a huge amount of improvement available without a huge amount of money thrown at the 'problem'.
- 'Doc

I wouldn't buy the Enforcer. There are no appreciable gains made with that coil design. I'm sure it is built better mechanically that the other commercial antennas with the same design. A cheaper antenna will electrically perform as well, in other words.

The I-10K is the obvious KING of 5/8 omni antennas.

If you can't, or won't afford an I-10K, then get a Maco V58. Its a good antenna for the price and can be had for just under $100.00.

Remember, the BEST money you will ever spend on a radio system, is on the ANTENNA and FEEDLINE!!!

maco V58 if you are on a budget

do not..
i repeat DO NOT replace your A99 with a Imax 2000
(with or without ground plane kit)
Imax 2000 is barly (just barly)better then A99

i know...i have used both A99 and Imax 2000
and used both with and without ground plane kits

Ofcourse...
The Absolute best groundplane 5/8 wave is hands down
Interceptor I-10K (as i currantly use)

although i have never used the enforcer
i can not see it out performing the I-10K
but again i have never used it (i also do not suscribe to the coil)

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
i repeat DO NOT replace your A99 with a Imax 2000
(with or without ground plane kit)
Imax 2000 is barly (just barly)better then A99

i know...i have used both A99 and Imax 2000
and used both with and without ground plane kits

The Imax 2000 is barely better than the A99 ????

I disagree.

Unit 194
in my having used both A99 and Imax 2000
is my conclusion is barly a difference in recieve or transmitt on the 2 antennas..

least that was my findings

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
Unit 194
in my having used both A99 and Imax 2000
is my conclusion is barly a difference in recieve or transmitt on the 2 antennas..

least that was my findings

I have also owned/used both antennas and in my application the 5/8 wave Imax 2000 significantly outperformed the 1/2 wave over 1/4 wave A99.

i agree 5/8 wave is usally better
however in regards to A99 to Imax 2000
i saw no real benifits..

however both are in storage
for i have been using for years what is most likly the best base antenna out there.
it happens to be a 5/8 wave antenna

jays interceptor I-10K

when skip is rolling and i am talking
most think me on a good beam and usally do not accept or believe i am on a vertical antenna.

i was impressed with the wide banded abilities of the A99 and Imax 2000 and i made decent contacts with both..
but neither the A99 or Imax 2000 are any better then average

Who is watching Daytona 500 ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.