• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Antennas $$$$$$

HIGHROLLER

Nov 4, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
I’m looking for some feedback on vertical base antennas. Mainly which ones should I consider to get the best bang for the buck? My plans are to install it on top of a thirty foot pitched roof with a twenty foot guy wired telescopic mast.
The weather hear in northern South Carolina is relatively mild with very little snow but some ice on occasion. However we get our share of thunderstorm type winds.
At the present time I’m leaning towards Jay’s Interceptor 10K. Is three hundred plus bucks too much to spend for a vertical? Or should I go all out and drop five hundred big ones on Mr. Coily’s Enforcer? On the other hand I could shell out a hundred or so and put up something like a Maco 5/8 and be done with it.
I’m not on Forbes millionaires list by any means but I don’t mind laying down the money for a GOOD all around ground plane. I’m a believer of the “You get what you pay for “thingy providing it’s within reason.
Your thoughts…
:):)

Gone with the Wind...

Having the antenna up 50 ft is certainly a plus; but if wind is a problem - then you might consider just a 10 ft mast on that 30 ft roof. 40 ft is still better than 36 ft and can offer less wind resistance when the going gets rough. When guyed at that height - it should be rock solid.

A Maco is a decent choice - but it may be a little difficult to tune in w/o taking it down a few times until it is tuned right. An IMAX is a fair choice, it will bend in the wind and comes from the factory already tuned. With a ground plane kit, it won't break the bank either. The Imax 2000 with the ground plane kit is a bit more expensive than the Maco V58- but comes tuned and will take a better licken than the Maco will.

The Interceptor 10k is obviously the best choice that will give the best performance. No one will argue that! Just so long as you are willing to risk it when the wind comes a'callin...

Maco V58, Imax 2000 w/ground plane kit, and the Interceptor 10K...

Attachments

• 68ba_1.jpg
    68ba_1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 185
  • !Bep-pLQCGk~$(KGrHqIH-EQEreTmN+OeBK-IDFiRlw~~_12.jpg
    !Bep-pLQCGk~$(KGrHqIH-EQEreTmN+OeBK-IDFiRlw~~_12.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 185
  • !BYStbf!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl4)iEBKgwbMGzfw~~_35.jpg
    !BYStbf!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl4)iEBKgwbMGzfw~~_35.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 186
  • i-10kin1.jpg
    i-10kin1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 184
Interceptor I-10K all the way..

Best Vertical 11 meter antenna out there..

Weathers the weather with ease..
(mine has seen near tornado winds that would snap a A99 or Imax 2000..and although a metal antenna i have seen it bend in ways i thought was not possible....However i also have mine well guyed indeed....on top of 3 story building..then 20 ft of mast to base of antenna...with 2 sets of guy cables )

There are two aspects of antennas that you should consider. One of them is it's mechanical aspects, the other is it's electrical aspects. The first one, the mechanical aspects determines how long the thing will 'live' in whatever it's environment is. Stronger is generally better to some ridiculous point. Electrically, a 5/8 wave antenna tends to have more 'range' than a shorter antenna. There's a lot of 'lee-way' in that, but generally true.
And then there's the 'practical' aspects. Can you put the thing up where you live? There are times when you can't, so a compromise is usually made. You'll have to decide that part. (If there are contract provisions, or HOA's involved in it, count on making compromises!)
And then there's the attitude of us C.A. (cheap axed) people. If I/we can make an antenna like the fancy ones, I/we probably will never buy one (again?).
Throw all that into a blender and punch the button. Whatever comes out is the 'best' antenna for you. It may not be, and seldom is, the same for everyone.
- 'Doc

I’m looking for some feedback on vertical base antennas. Mainly which ones should I consider to get the best bang for the buck? My plans are to install it on top of a thirty foot pitched roof with a twenty foot guy wired telescopic mast.
The weather hear in northern South Carolina is relatively mild with very little snow but some ice on occasion. However we get our share of thunderstorm type winds.
At the present time I’m leaning towards Jay’s Interceptor 10K. Is three hundred plus bucks too much to spend for a vertical? Or should I go all out and drop five hundred big ones on Mr. Coily’s Enforcer? On the other hand I could shell out a hundred or so and put up something like a Maco 5/8 and be done with it.
I’m not on Forbes millionaires list by any means but I don’t mind laying down the money for a GOOD all around ground plane. I’m a believer of the “You get what you pay for “thingy providing it’s within reason.
Your thoughts…
:):)
my logic is a 5/8 is a 5/8 no matter whos name is on it .that being
said the 10k and mr.coily are the best antennas built.however dollar 4 dollar
the maco has the same gain or very close to the same gain.the imax is a good
antenna also but id rate it second cause its a noisy antenna.either the maco or imax
would make ya happy.both have thier good and bad points

i have never owned an I-10K, but i have had several base station antennas way up in the air.

the question to ask yourself is, "do i want to worry about my antenna falling on the neighbor's car while im at work during a wind storm?"

i can tell you from first hand experience, that its no fun wondering what you will find when you get home after a 70mph wind.

i got lucky. the 5 foot mast section above the guy wires failed and the antenna was horizontal, but still intact.

after that, i decided that it was WELL worth the money for peace of mind when you are away from home.

the next antenna i buy will be an I-10K, simply because i wont worry about it being way up there and coming down.

i dont care if the maco performs every bit as well as the I-10K, i will spend the cash for confidence in my system.

i think the only major difference between the mr. coily and the I-10k, is the matching network.

most things ive read favor the trombone tuning over the coil.

trust me. if you dont do everything you can to put up a sturdy antenna system; you WILL worry about it when the wind starts blowing.

just my 2 S-units worth,
LC

Just FYI i got my imax2000 from Walcott-----$106 including shipping delivered
best price i could find.
no ground plane, and it works just fine

my logic is a 5/8 is a 5/8 no matter whos name is on it .that being
said the 10k and mr.coily are the best antennas built.however dollar 4 dollar
the maco has the same gain or very close to the same gain.the imax is a good
antenna also but id rate it second cause its a noisy antenna.either the maco or imax
would make ya happy.both have thier good and bad points
Other than the wind survivability which is obviously in the favor of the imax and I-10k the deciding factor is the efficiency of the 4 different matching networks.

Most likely the Maco and the I-10k is better in that category.

Other than the wind survivability which is obviously in the favor of the imax and I-10k the deciding factor is the efficiency of the 4 different matching networks.

Most likely the Maco and the I-10k is better in that category.

Mack, I'm curious as to how you figured the efficiency for these four matchers? Is it by scuttlebutt, advertising, some standard for such, or testing?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.