• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base radio

Number15

May 18, 2005
Stockton CA.
I am looking to get another base radio, and want to know what every one runs and why, looking for a loud talker? for local talking and skip. Thanks all

President Lincoln with Sadelta Echo Master base microphone would be my choice. I have run the combo with nothing but good reports. Loud and clear, very clean audio. Just don't turn the volume up to loud or you will pick up alot of background noise.

to many to choose from and depending on what you wanna pay I think you would pretty much be happy with most radios It seems like now days the connex or the magnums are the louder of the radios although I hear lots of cobra and unidens with swing kits in them that slam to and it also depends on mics those echo max 2000's are loud along with d 104's and turner +3

well 2995 is how you put it loud and proud i suppose
it is also a heck of a splash box

for the money you will spend for that
you are far far better off getting Icom IC-718

Base Radio Equipment

I still think we are lacking a little info on how your going to use your new rig.
I think if your primary operation is on AM a converted Amateur transceiver is not the way to go unless it was and older 70's tube type rig.
Today's Amateur gear are ALL VFO controlled, they are not channelized. You will have to tune every standard CB frequency with the VFO. You can waste memory slots programing them in, but again counter productive to the way the equipment is set-up.
Then you must be careful with the way you use them, a 100 watt transceiver running on AM must be turned back to operate at about 50% duty cycle.
Example would be 10-15 watts carrier and about 50 watts modulated output...anymore than that for long period of time and you will be paying for new finals!

I think you might be better served to look at the RCI/Galaxy/RF limited rigs if AM is your primary operation.

The ICOM rig you are asking about requires special microphones. Most aftermarket microphones require being rewired to use on ICOM equipment, they use a different setup with pin configuration and voltage on the connectors. This can be done of course, but shopping around you will see mics for sale stating wired for ICOM...once this is done you will only be able to use them on ICOM gear.

SSB operation is another story...if 99% of your operations are SSB...then you can make other choices...

I would stay away from using Amateur certified equipment for AM/ CB use if that will only be it's primary usage...
IMHO for the two cents it's worth...
All the Best
BJ

Last edited:
Yes they can be modded and no you dont loose any frequencies and yes you can wire whatever mic you want to an HF radio but becareful as with any radio sometimes one wrong wire can wipeout the processor

so i suppose since asking if it can be moded
you likely want it for 11 meters / CB band

then for AM or SSB

I still say regardless the IC-718
but especially so if you use SSB a lot
but even on AM the 718 will do good (but on am most would prefer the 2995 splash box)

For my money, the good old Uniden "858" chassis radios are hard to beat. AM/SSB models include Realistic 457/458/459, Cobra 138XLR/139XLR, President Washington, Grant, Adams ("early" models), Robyn510D, and others. This chassis has great receive (dual mosfet preamp), built-in speech clipping, and is ultimately expandable frequency-wise. These radios were LOUD out-of-the-box, but add a GOOD power mic and a tuneup to open them up and they will blow away just about any other rig out there. I bought a really clean TRC458 on ebay for 62 bucks! The only drawback... the driver (2SC1306) and final (2SC1307) are no longer available. However, I see them on ebay all the time too.
If you want a rig that will work the 40 CB channels, and a few more up and down this radio is my choice.

Unit 399 CB Radio homepage

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.