• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

base station antenna

Maco and their gamma match sucks.. Imax 2000 shown by many to outperform the Maco groundplanes by .5db in gain or more.
HORSE FEATHERS!!!!!

If you add the radials (or ground plane kit) to an IMAX 2000, that would be your best bet for under $150.00. Solarcon does skimp on their part quality, but the truth is, if you have an IMAX 2000 next to a Maco 5/8th wave, what little difference you see, is in the IMAX 2000 favor.

A gamma match is okay (does have loss), but the IMAX is also a tad longer electrically, and uses copper, which is better than aluminum for performance any day. Granted the difference is very small, but it's better nonetheless.

I don't need to bet, I did the actual comparison. The IMAX 2000 had about a needle whip more signal gain than the MACO. I can tell many are in love with Maco verticals, but the IMAX 2000 always had equal to higher signal strength at same heights using an A/B switch. This was tested at various distances from difference directions.

If you don't believe it, then put both antennas up yourself, and run the test. The difference is small, but the IMAX was still better. I'm not claiming a huge 10 db difference, probably about a .5 to 2db gain difference is all, but the IMAX 2000 at same height was better every time.

I would say the Maco

You asked if can put on a chimney mount
Sure i put a far heavier antenna (interceptor I-10K) on my chimney
(with guy wiring) and it does fine

Why not spend just a bit more and get Jays I-10K 5/8 wave ground plane

Otherwise stick with the Maco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.