• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baseline hiss/noise pick up on antennas

Also stay away from the Radio Reference forum. Seems like they have some true dip shits there. I'm sure there are some good people and knowledgable ones, but I ended up getting a stalker LOL!! A TROLL!! Sorry couldn't help it and apologies to anyone that is on that forum as well as this one. I have deleted my account there as it seems that many there haven't a clue about even installing an antenna setup correctly and also will give you some bad info!!!! Again, sorry to go off topic, but I had to say something. This is the place for the RIGHT INFO!!!!
73 and God Bless All,
Sean.

Yes proper grounding is important. If it wasn't then why the heck do they ground every tower you see. And that grounding procedure is what should be followed. Research some into proper grounding of commercial towers and you will understand why it's important.
If you want to keep your station for any length of time, grounding is a must. JMHO.
I know this op was about antenna but I thought you were referring inside the shack grounding.
I'm now fairly sure your speaking of antenna grounding.
I don't have any grounds hooked up to my current antenna.
I will be removing my imax 2000 to another location.
It currently sits on a non penetrating roof mast support in my back yard.
It's finally going to be about 24 ft off the ground.
It's currently only 7 ft off the ground.
I will be using three 6 ft ground rods to it in it new location on the eave of my home.
I understand in shack equipment grounding is also important but very difficult and not likely to be done. Thanks

I mean both. Equipment and also your antenna mast/tower. All should be grounded. There are ways to get a ground into your window. Some #6AWG solid, and a ground rod at or near your window that can connect to the other grounding rods for the antenna/mast. All must form a single point. This is why I said a ground buss bar is a good idea. You can get a small 8"-10" one and have more than enough room for all your equipment to be grounded. As well, like I said as I am sure others have too, look into how a commercial tower or a Cell Site tower and shelter gets grounded. It will give you a better understanding of what is going on and how it should be done. Have a good one and be safe messing with your antenna!! Try and get as many hands on deck as possible and wear gloves as well do you don't get fiberglass splinters!! And again, be safe!!!

Reactions: Tallman
222DBFL knows the truth about towers and station grounds. He lives where there are more lighting strikes than any other place in the U.S. of A. and worked for a telephone company.
DO NOT use water pipes for any type of ground, EVER.
Your neighbor can get a direct hit and it can conduct over to your house and fry your gear.

http://weather.about.com/od/thunderstormsandlightning/tp/lightningstates.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL and Sonar
DO NOT use water pipes for any type of ground, EVER.
Your neighbor can get a direct hit and it will conduct over to your house and fry your gear.

I agree that you should not use water pipes as a guaranteed means of earthing, but for very different reasons.

If your house has copper water pipes, odds are they are already hooked into the ground system, weather you know it or not. The thing is, parts of that system may have been replaced with non-copper piping, so with them you would need to make sure such a connection to earth actually exists. Even if such a connection does exist, it is possible that the connection outside of your house only goes so far before the water company converted to a different non-conducting material, there simply may not be enough copper pipe outside of your house to act as a proper earth ground.

About your stuff getting zapped when your neighbors house gets hit... Your neutral electrical wire is connected to an earth ground in the electric meter on the side of your house. Your neighbors is the same. In the US, this is required under electrical safety codes. This direct electrical connection between your ground system and your neighbors ground system already exists, a second connection will make little to no difference.

That being said, contrary to popular belief, the connection between electrical ground systems will not be the cause of damage in your house. However, any elevated wire coming into your house, such as a phone wire or an electrical wire, will have current induced on it, and that current will be the source of the damage you are concerned about. The lightening acts like a strong radio transmitter, and the wires act like a receiving antenna, we are talking about the same thing that allows us to use radios to communicate, only how much power is in a lightening strike? Contrary to what many people think, it doesn't matter how much potential is on the ground system, as long as that system is used as the reference potential for everything else the energy there will not be the cause of damage.

Lightening protection is not based on keeping lightening out, it is based on keeping all grounds at the same potential. As long as all grounds are at the same potential, there is very little danger in fried electronics from a lightening hit, or any other surge that the ground system has to deal with. In fact, there is more danger in not keeping all grounds, and thus ground references, at the same potential than there is of letting lightening energize the ground system of your house. Our electric safety codes are written as they are with good reason, not following them is asking for trouble.

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.