• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Battery Tester

Nigella

Dec 22, 2021
I'm wanting to purchase a digital battery tester because I have a lot of battery-related equipment and perform some work for others. I don't want a POS and would prefer to stay for around $100. Any recommendations? I despise having to remove the battery and take it to a parts store to be checked out. I was encouraged to hunt for an old Snap-on MT 1552, but that is a really hefty machine. In addition, there must be a motive to purchase another tool. Thanks.

The digital capacitance testers by Midtronics work really well. I keep one in my service truck, (I am a diesel field mechanic), they are small and handy and haven't let me down. That said if you can find an old Sun VAT-40, they are awesome, but not as portable. The problem with A VAT-40 is they are old now, and IDK if the proprietary parts are available any more, Snap On bought Sun years ago, but I doubt if they still offer support.

Reactions: Eldorado828
is the Schumacher BT-100 any good.... its on amazon with good reviews.
At the price they are asking I'd have my doubts on it's quality. It seems more like Harbor Freight quality. The reason I say that is because I wasted money on a Harbor Freight load tester. Don't get me wrong I buy a lot of stuff from that store and a lot of it is usable but that load tester was Junk Out of the Box. LOL

I have a Schumacher model mentioned above. It has worked well for what I have needed it for. But, I also have a few slightly bulky military generator test sets that you can do quite a bit with. They are technically portable, but best suited as having a spot in the garage if the need is great enough.

1569C005-B241-45EC-AA7F-7172A349AB6C.png

There are many variations of these, but they all do the same job. You can load test up to 500 amps if needed (if my memory serves) For some, it could be a good option.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.