• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beam Ant.

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
Do to limited space is there anyone who makes a small beam for 11 meter ops. I know this is a difficult question because of not knowing the set up and terrain. The ant. would be used just for local contacts 30 to 40 miles. Thanks.

So you want a VERTICAL polarized beam. Correct?

If you want a small beam, build a 2-element quad or buy one of these.....

http://www.majestic-comm.com/products/antennas/m103c.htm
http://www.majestic-comm.com/products/antennas/yquad.htm

With some experimenting, you could make the m103 into a m102. Build and tune the driven element, then add the reflector. Tweak the lengths and spacing of both elements until it sings!

I sure wish there were other options rather than Maco, but for the low cost, they are hard to beat!

Good luck!

i ran a SE on a 40' tower for several years and it held up great which is a major feat up here in the frozen tundra. just had to re measure the wires every year in the spring during the annual maintenance (every one does that right?) but if you lived in a climate wth no ice loading i'm sure it would be fine. gain was decent on it, rejection was okay, you could still hear off the back side but it would be down from an s-9 to s-5 from 180degs. used a small tv rotor to turn it and that seemed to work out fine what was really the atraction was the the dual feed horz./vert. on one boom. well good luck hope this helps a little :D

rfoverlord, I agree that the SE is a great design. I can't say much for the kit, but your antenna held up in bad weather, right.

What model did you have?

Look for a used PDL-2 beam on auction sites. Much better
construction than the S.E. beam.
Jo-Gunn makes a 2 element. But, there beams are expensive.
Better off going with MasterChief advice.

Just get you one of Jay's I-10K's. They are about as good as a small beam you speak of in the range you are talking about. Even a Maco V-5/8 will do that job really well if you get it up about 40' or more. Either one a 100' high would have you taking over 100 miles just about anytime the noise will allow you to hear.

Why mess with a beam that small and have to deal with the problems of a rotor, wind and weather, and support problems. By the time you get a small beam up there you could probably buy two of Jay's antennas. I am talking farther than 30-40 miles on a regular bases with these at only 40' or less.

stardusterandi10kheightperspec.jpg

if you have the area..
the Jay's Interceptor I-10K would do better..

it is however a good size antenna..
but would fit in the foot print of space you would need use for a small beam..

i disagree though and think it would work better then a 2 element beam...

but small and un obtrusive it is not (during the day that is)
at night it is very hard to see..

plus if you are into running power..
you can put 10,000 watts to it..

My Icom IC-7000 with Jay's Interceptor I-10K are a very good match and make for easy local and DX contacts..

if noise level is low (like early mouning hours)..
then i can talk not 30 or 50 miles....but consistently 100 to 3000 miles (if there is nearly no noise level)

my I-10K is at 42 to 48 ft high at its base..

Later

Thanks to everyone. I plan on doing some more research and will go from there. Again thanks to all for the help.

One big benefit of having a beam is having side and back rejection and the ability to block out unwanted bleed or noise, with a ground plane antenna you get signals and noise from all sides and your stuck with it.

Money wise a new two element quad and a small rotor would run a few bucks but there's lots of good used stuff around for a good price. Personally I'd never put up a new ground plane antenna simply because a beam makes much more sense providing you have the room for it.

Ground Planes are good but beams are better. One of each even better yet.

Good Luck!
Jonbah

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.