• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bearcat Scanners

triple nickel

Dec 5, 2009
Christian County Mo.
Not sure where to post this. I thought FCC ruled changes to the scanner so you can not pick up cell phones, And would anyone have info on what model scanner would be great in a mobile ?? Non-Handheld. I run 3 state region doing delivery's in Mo.-Ok.-Ark. Any info would be helpful.

Scanners Mobile

I am not sure about your specific states...but most states now forbid scanners in cars/trucks by private or commercial carriers. The only exceptions normally are Amatuer Radio operators and valid first respondors...ie AUX: police/fire/rescue etc... I must have a valid copy of my license in my possesion to have a scanner in IL/IN/OH...
and yes it is considered illegal to listen to cell phone conversations on a scanner in the US...scanners sold in the US are to be blocked on cell frequencies...by law...:whistle:
All the Best
BJ

I am not sure about your specific states...but most states now forbid scanners in cars/trucks by private or commercial carriers. The only exceptions normally are Amatuer Radio operators and valid first respondors...ie AUX: police/fire/rescue etc... I must have a valid copy of my license in my possesion to have a scanner in IL/IN/OH...
and yes it is considered illegal to listen to cell phone conversations on a scanner in the US...scanners sold in the US are to be blocked on cell frequencies...by law...:whistle:
All the Best
BJ

I guess i need to brush up on the laws. I am a truck driver but i guess i did not remember some of the states passing laws for scanners in Commercial vehicles. I was just trying to find out which would be a good mobile scanner to run in my Dodge caravan Commercial delivery vehicle. Thank you for the valuable info. I will look into the laws that prohibit scanners in Commercial vehicles for Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

nearly all cell carriers are digital now do the old 800mhz analog scanners wont work anymore. you might be able to find a 1.2 or 2.4ghz scanner and listen to your neighbors phone calls. many baby monitors are in the 27mhz and 49/50 mhz range and those are fun to listen to as well.

im not real sold on the bearcat mobile scanners, i have a bct7 hooked up to the same antenna as my radio shack 2043 and even when scanning the same frequency's it misses quite. the realistic catches everything and the bearcat goes right by them. i have noticed this with a bct350a&c models as well. the older mobile uniden scanners recieved very well but they had very limited memory settings and scanned very slowly.

if by chance you are going to be going to area's where scanners are frowned apon than a great alternitive would be a newer 2m radio. they cost a little more but work excellent. my favotite was my kenwood tm-271a. it had alphanumaric memorues instead of 146.940 it could say duluth rptr or 155.5950 it would say duluth pd. scanning speed was second only to hyper-scan and reception was second to non. unfortunately this limits you as unless you have a duel band rig (the 271a will go 136mhz to 173.995 if i remeber right) so you don't have the 220 or 440mhz frequency's. if those are something you wish to scan than it may not be right for you.

a scanner is ok for you to carry in all the stats you listed as long as its not being used for illegal purpouses (theft, avoidance of radar and commercial stops, etc) be warned active searching of police frequency's when being pulled over is generally considered a no-no by most law enforcement. if you get pulled over it best to shut it off of have it listening to a 2m frequency of some sort.

for example if you are caught speeding in Oklahoma with a scanner active you could be charged with a felony as the scanner is used during a crime. otherwise its legal to operate.

I just needed a scanner for police accidents and snow related routes and tornadoes in the spring. I am not interested in cell phones i just remember hearing something to that affect some years ago. I think i will check out a Radio Shack unit. Thank You Carl for the info.

If your note set on a BearCat, check into the GRE scanners. I have both a GRE300 (Handheld, Trunking) and a GRE400 (Mobile/Base, Trunking). They have performed as well as any of the Uniden BearCat's I have owned...plus they're a little cheaper.

Its good I saw this as I was planning on taking my scanner to Washington...that would mean crossing two or so illegal states! :eek: Not sure what they would do to someone out-of-state if its legal in your home state?

dont matter if your from mars, once you cross state lines you must follow there laws.

don't get pulled over and keep it out of sight. no worrys.

Just a suggestion for you Triple Nickle, Maybe look into getting your technician class ham radio license. I'm a CB'er and a ham and like to have both a CB and a 2 meter (or 2 meter/440) in the vehicle. Even though you will probably hear the most current local traffic conditions, accidents, etc. on the CB, you will gain a few extra things with having the 2 meter rig with you and the ability to talk on it.

First, you can talk through repeaters which can expand your radio coverage range out to 50 or more miles and gives you more people to stay in contact with. Next would be that there are a fair number of repeaters that do SkyWarn and weather watch nets and emergency nets. These nets often pass info along about severe storms, tornados, rotation (of potential tornados), hail, snow, ice, etc. You can attend a Skywarn class for free (taught by the national weather service) to recognize pending storm/tornado activity in advance. Vitually all of the 2 meter mobile radios will be able to monitor the national weather service frequencies so you can keep up with weather changes or emergency notifications. And lastly, you will be able to monitor police, fire and ambulance as well. Simply research the primary public service frequencies (mainly dispatch frequencies)for the areas you normally drive through, program them into the radio's memory and you are set.

A new 50 watt 2 meter mobile radio is about $150 and a 1/4 wave mag mount (20 inches tall for 2 meters) is about $25 or less. So for about the cost of a better scanner, you'll have a few extra ammenities that might come in handy on the road. The technician class license is pretty easy to obtain and there is plenty of info on the internet about practice tests, study guides, and testing locations.

Just something to ponder. Good luck!

name that radio

Greetings everyone:

New member and newly licensed ham, I am interested in this $150 2 meter radio-50watts. Can someone put a name to it so I can search and purchase one? I would like to take the recomendation of experienced members here as there are a ton of radios out there to choose from.

gamegetter

Yaesu FT-1900R is 55 watts output and is regularly priced at $150. There are other models that are between 55 and 75 watts output and are between $150 and $175 such as the: Kenwood TM-271A, the Yaesu FT-2900R, Icom IC-2200H.

The FT-1900R has 200 memory channels which is usually more than enough for most areas for programming up local repeaters, simplex frequencies, public service frequencies, etc.

Greetings everyone:

New member and newly licensed ham, I am interested in this $150 2 meter radio-50watts. Can someone put a name to it so I can search and purchase one? I would like to take the recomendation of experienced members here as there are a ton of radios out there to choose from.

gamegetter

perhaps you are better off starting a new thread for your question.

There are not "tons" of radios to choose from.
You can only get down to $150 after a mfg coupon:
Yaesu FT1900R 2m 55w (the 75w version is $165)
Kenwood TM-271A 2m 60w

For a bit more:
icom IC-2200H 65w 2m $170
alinco DR-135TMkIII 50w 2m $170

I have been traveling quite a bit lately for work, leaves me out of the radio talking/listening mode.

I have an iPhone and I installed the app 5-0 Radio Pro for iPhone - Free iPhone software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

You can listen to live scanner and amateur radio frequencies over the iPhone.

I then connect the AUX cable to the stereo in the vehicle, I can now listen to the scanner in any state, no antenna on the car and even if I were pulled over, shut the app down, and "I just have an iPhone officer" :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.