• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginner ham antenna questions

Hi Gary...quick response. Thanks.

Yes, it is an EBay auction but its not be an EBay scammer I'm pretty sire as they don't know how to use Ebay. They have the title of the sale post so misnamed it doesn't even show up with searches for Kenwood, 520, 520S, ham radios, or any other reasonable search. They closest the seller gets is "consumer electronics". I'm pretty sure its a nephew or grandchild selling a recently deceased uincle or grandfather's Ham. I'd say the grandfather or whoever was pretty picky about taking care of his stuff...the radio comes in the original box and the pic looks like it just walked out of the store brand new.

The ad says it works, so if that is a lie I have the EBay satisfaction garuntee to fall back on if necessary.

Every now and then Ebay can be a deal....I sold rigs on the Bay years ago and other stuff....still buy there once a while(non-radio)....but so much garbage radiowise now days....QTH.com is my FAV...the real deals are there 99% of time!
Just my 2 cents BH...
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: 2 people
That QTH deal on the rig/tuner/power supply does look like a very good deal. Back to the hybrids... if you decide to go that route, I'd go for a TS-530/820/830 because of the digital display. The 520 and 520S just have the analog dial (which really is pretty darned accurate once you figure it out). I paid about 160 bucks for an add-on digital display for my old TS-520, which I just had a QSO with Les, SP9LJD (Poland) on 14.255. 100 watts and a delta loop. :)

Brett

Ya I would call on the TS130 package. He has the phone number posted. You can call him, tell a story about you just passed you tech and general yesterday. Then watch him give a better deal. HI HI.
Rich

Ya I would call on the TS130 package. He has the phone number posted. You can call him, tell a story about you just passed you tech and general yesterday. Then watch him give a better deal. HI HI.
Rich

Won't be telling a story...I take the tech and general (assuming I pass the tech, of course) a week from tomorrow (Monday). I thought I was going to have to wait until September to find a test reasonably close, but stumbled across this one yesterday.

That Alinco listed above looks sweet, but its out of my budget range, dammit!

Won't be telling a story...I take the tech and general (assuming I pass the tech, of course) a week from tomorrow (Monday). I thought I was going to have to wait until September to find a test reasonably close, but stumbled across this one yesterday.

That Alinco listed above looks sweet, but its out of my budget range, dammit!
Good luck on the test and let us know.

Good luck on the test and let us know.

Thanks...will do.

I think I've pretty well narrowed the radio down to a Kenwood of some sort...perhaps that 120S if he and I can work a deal, thjough with the shipping its gonna be over $400 unless he comes down, right at the very tip top of my budget. If not that one, a 530S, 820S, or 830S maybe.

Now to antenna(s). I was reading this thread...

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amateur-...myth-surrounding-antenna-take-off-angles.html

...and all I could think was, "Damn...I wish this stuff was written in English!"...:D:D:D

Don't sweat this stuff, pass the test, build a dipole and get on the air. Do a lot of reading and listening and you will learn form there. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we were all there once.

Don't sweat this stuff, pass the test, build a dipole and get on the air.

Is it as easy as fig 1 shows here?

The Dipole Antenna - What is a dipole Antenna?

Between 2 trees? (I know...make accomodations for tree growth and swaying in the wind)And how high? As high as I'm willing to climb? (I get nosebleeds at anything over the second rung on a stepladder...)

I would get an ARRL antenna hand book and keep it for some bathroom literature. Even an old edition is good I think mine is from the 1990's.

Reactions: 2 people
I think your best bet is the first one. Has pwr supply, antenna tuner, and he has been using it himself...

Well, that one...the 520S...ain't gonna happen, for 2 reasons...

1. Doesn'tr do PayPal or any othjer payment method that protects me, but he want''s himself protected. He'll do personal check, Postal Money Order, whatever...and will ship the radio AFTER his bank says everything has cleared. I don't have a "STUPID" tattoo across my forhead.

2. He's a prick for reasons other than #1.

Back to looking.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.