• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best 11meter vertical ever, period.

i thought this oldie but goodie deserved a bump ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
lmao@ booty,

what did MC say "THE GALACTICALLY STUPID"
ask him if he still thinks a sigma is just a 1/2wave j-pole,

its right up there with other gems such as

ugly baluns that don't do any ballancing,
whacky ideas posted about sleeve baluns,
groundplanes that are supposed to be unballanced,
hooking your 259b to your solid state amp to test the match,

:headbang

lmao@ booty,

what did MC say "THE GALACTICALLY STUPID"

:headbang

pmsl, the irony here is that cst plot of the vector 4000 from sirio truly reveals who is/was galactically stupid.

yep, there's no doubt its deffo a :LOL::LOL::LOL: j pole :LOL::LOL::LOL: ;):whistle::bdh:

Freecell deffo had some issues with human interaction, but his technical input was always pretty accurate.

i can understand where jack was comming from,
a guy can only take so much 5/8wave nonesense jazz;)

Yep i too can understand why he felt so frustrated, he always tried to give sound advice. I don't recall ever reading a post Jack made that wasn't accurate technically.

But i have to say many of his business dealings appeared very very shady and between that and his lack of compassion for those who didn't have the technical understanding he did, it made him look very bad.

As for Master Chief, his ego was writing cheques his ass could never cash as he failed to grasp some of the more simple concepts of rf theory, and he tried to shoot anyone who tried to correct him down in a sea of bullshit.

I remember a post you showed me he wrote on another forum Bob concerning velocity factor that beggered belief for a guy who projected to have so much understanding of rf theory. i have no idea how he lasted so long as an antenna guru before people picked up on his lack of comprehension.

Nowadays with guys like yourself, Shockwave ,Henry hpsd and a few others around he wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes before getting called out on bullshitting, just like others have recently.

This thread proves conclusively anyone can read technical material, but it takes a unique understanding to interpret it in the way the author intended it to be interpreted.

To re-ressurect this ancient morsel...

Well that was an interesting and fun hour of reading.

What it left me wondering is why Sirio, with their chamber and all their testing equipment, are not marketing the .82λ or 7/8λ but are now marketing exactly what I tried decades ago, the simple 3/4λ which was outperformed by my P500, and according to posts all over this forum doesn't work as well as a 5/8λ, and have even read Bob85 mention he needed to work for hours on his to get that 1.5-2dB of gain by lengthening it.

What the heck is going on that this 7/8λ wave non-apparent collinear, 5/8λ-killing, design isn't being used to the fullest by the marketing team that has brought us the ingenious Gain Master?

I tried the basic 3/4λ wave and it was poop compared to the Penetrator, even though I wanted it to be better, liked the look better, spent the big bucks to buy it to be better than the P500, but couldn't keep it because it was a degradation in performance compared to the Penetrator.

So what's the deal? Why has Sirio removed their wonderful 7/8λ from the market and replaced it with a supposedly inferior simple 3/4λ wave which isn't supposed to produce the fantastic ~2dB gain of the lengthened Bob85 / Shockwave .82λ / 7/8λ design(s)?

wtf.gif

Reactions: Marconi
Well that was an interesting and fun hour of reading.

What it left me wondering is why Sirio, with their chamber and all their testing equipment, are not marketing the .82λ or 7/8λ but are now marketing exactly what I tried decades ago, the simple 3/4λ which was outperformed by my P500, and according to posts all over this forum doesn't work as well as a 5/8λ, and have even read Bob85 mention he needed to work for hours on his to get that 1.5-2dB of gain by lengthening it.

What the heck is going on that this 7/8λ wave non-apparent collinear, 5/8λ-killing, design isn't being used to the fullest by the marketing team that has brought us the ingenious Gain Master?

I tried the basic 3/4λ wave and it was poop compared to the Penetrator, even though I wanted it to be better, liked the look better, spent the big bucks to buy it to be better than the P500, but couldn't keep it because it was a degradation in performance compared to the Penetrator.

So what's the deal? Why has Sirio removed their wonderful 7/8λ from the market and replaced it with a supposedly inferior simple 3/4λ wave which isn't supposed to produce the fantastic ~2dB gain of the lengthened Bob85 / Shockwave .82λ / 7/8λ design(s)?

wtf.gif

Perhaps the most significant change in the new Vector is the increased radial length. While you seem to paint a picture of a company that blindly changes their design while having access to all the latest technology, you fail to realize these changes are a result of the new technology and not a copy of the 30 year old design.

Could it be this new technology actually provided the information needed to physically design a radiator that has ALL of it's radiation currents adding constructively rather then have any portion out of phase? This same information that in the right hands fully explains how this design really works after all these years?

The new Vector radial length happens to scale within a half inch of the radials I've been using on FM for many years. I need to wait until 3 feet of snow melts of my test field before I can confirm the shortened radiator with long radials helps gain on the distant horizon. Let's remember the new Vector has been re-designed to tune 10 meters also.

If your Sigma design is poop compared to your 5/8 wave ground plane you need to examine your test conditions to determine how they differ from the controlled environment that would have produced 1db gain on the distant horizon. If your tests are accurate then the only answer is your target area is well outside the compressed beamwidth of a colinear array. In this case, a Starduster with no gain might be your best friend.

Well i know 5 guys with interceptors and not a single person with a sirio antenna since around here they are considered poop that falls aparts when it gets to windy.I know plenty of others who run antron 99s and i max antennas.From what i hear the interceptors are much stronger then the other antennas.I have also heard that When you raise the sirio antennas up onto the tower or where ever they are to be mounted that the swr rasies up quite a bit only to cause more rfi.Yes you can combat this with ferrite but you still have less power going into the antenna since the match is lossy.Same goes for the a99 and the imax.I think im going to go with a 10k.Its made in the usa with no lossy match to burn out. Does anyone know how much they sell for.
I laugh when people talk about testing the antennas in a controlled enviroment.So what exactly would anyone define as a controlled enviroment.Since i would think it would be a open feild away from everybody and everything like houses and buildings.And you also have to consider the ground soil characteristics amongst many other things.And what instruments would be used to take readings.Doesnt that guy jay who builds the interceptor work at lockheed martin doesnt he have access to all of this.Didnt hey build the stealth bomber lol.

I ran the old style sigma 4 that all the elements were fluted DAM GOOD ANTENNA!!! than i got a sirio vector 4000 man i was very very unhappy so i scored a new in the box, old stock avanti av-170 ground plane antenna and i have never ever looked back!!!!!!! this thing was made in 1977

CB dudes...this post is almost 7 years old. Give it a break!!!!

:bdh:

Poor horsey.

P.S. Moderators....we need a smiley of the BDH but with a horse skeleton. :D

CB dudes...this post is almost 7 years old. Give it a break!!!!

:bdh:

Poor horsey.

P.S. Moderators....we need a smiley of the BDH but with a horse skeleton. :D

Hey Rat..., the only time an open thread gets old is when the guys with little pointy heads show up with nothing to add.

Here comes trouble.

Well i know 5 guys with interceptors and not a single person with a sirio antenna since around here they are considered poop that falls aparts when it gets to windy.I know plenty of others who run antron 99s and i max antennas.From what i hear the interceptors are much stronger then the other antennas.I have also heard that When you raise the sirio antennas up onto the tower or where ever they are to be mounted that the swr rasies up quite a bit only to cause more rfi.Yes you can combat this with ferrite but you still have less power going into the antenna since the match is lossy.Same goes for the a99 and the imax.I think im going to go with a 10k.Its made in the usa with no lossy match to burn out. Does anyone know how much they sell for.
I laugh when people talk about testing the antennas in a controlled enviroment.So what exactly would anyone define as a controlled enviroment.Since i would think it would be a open feild away from everybody and everything like houses and buildings.And you also have to consider the ground soil characteristics amongst many other things.And what instruments would be used to take readings.Doesnt that guy jay who builds the interceptor work at lockheed martin doesnt he have access to all of this.Didnt hey build the stealth bomber lol.

Well it took about 5 posts before I figured out for sure this Bigman is the banned Scottdarling1221 from this forum. Moderators may wish to note the IP address is likely to end with "133.53". Even your I-10K is not bulletproof in terms of being strong. Just look at the posts in the A1 antenna forum about "Can I get this thing to stand straight"? The owner notes his original Sigma IV took the weather for years and the I-10K folded right over. The insulator and where it joins to the main radiator is the weak link in all 5/8 waves. If you paid no attention to the instructions on your I-10K and tuned it yourself on the ground for a low VSWR, what do you think would happen when it was 1 wavelength above the ground? The same exact thing Jay told you implying only the Sirio does this.

Just like Jay told you the gamma match was some black hole to RF creating noticeable imaginary losses all combined to make you take down a M-104 vertical beam thinking the I-10K would give you a better signal. LOL. Now stop pretending to be some new guy trying to promote the I-10K and admit you already own the antenna and never even ran another aluminum vertical. I laugh when people come back under new names spreading the same misinformation. If the "machinists" at A1 worked for Lockheed Martin and had access to all of their test equipment when building his antennas, the man would never say his hairpin match has more then 3 db gain over a well designed gamma match. That is the bottom line on this topic. Please don't start the same trouble again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.