• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best 40 Chanel CB with SSB

Best CB with SSB

• Cobra 148 GTL new model

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Connex CX566SSB

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Galaxy DX-949

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Galaxl DX-959

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Galaxy DX-979

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Uniden 980SSB

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters
959's get a bad rep, cause most ppl dont know how to work on a radio, or their "so called" tech clips and peaks it in 2 min's and sends them home. There's a few things you can do to the 959's to make em very stable. Dont get me wrong, they are not a 2950 10 meter, but for a "CB" you get all the bells & whistles that a Cobra & Uniden will never have. If you are a HUGE SSB talker......why even own a Galaxy 959? If i was a SSB kinda guy, i think i would have a bigger & better radio, SMH, lol.:bdh:

from the ones id had to choose from i choose the uniden 980.
i havent heard anything good about the newer 148s the 959s are ok at best
the connex ive only seen a couple of reviews but they were good, id rate this
as a close second ONLY cause theres not alot of reviews or info. however if ya got the
room and like the classic style of radios id say i would try this one..jmo

I would look for a older Cobra 148GTL side mic there were many produced and some times you can find an older one in like new condition that's what I did I found a Malaysia built one still in the box for $75.00 since you have the time. If your only looking for new go with the crowd on this forum you won't be steered wrong.

There ya go, if you really want a nice SSB cb set look for an older Uniden built radio. Uniden built some of the best Cobra & Radio Shack radio's ever. For me the jury is still out on the new 980, I hope it ends up being a great radio.

I have to agree with you, the new version 148 is a total POS. I just had to laugh when I saw it getting votes. They will probably top it off by suggesting you buy it from Crapper Electronics......lol. ;);)

My China made so called newer 148 works just fine on AM and & SSB.
Guess I got lucky. (y)

I still prefer my Kenwood TS-480 over it though.

I am sure yours is the best 148 ever:bored:

For fun how do you quantify just fine? What has been done to it?

I am sure yours is the best 148 ever:bored:

For fun how do you quantify just fine? What has been done to it?

The radio is in factory condition.
The Voice lock is at 12 o'clock when receiving a SSB signal and is right on.
Have never had any complaints of sounding distorted or being off frequency on SSB or AM.

Also while transmitting into a dummy load with my 148, the Kenwood HF radio I have receives the 148 perfectly on SSB.

It its not broke why mess with it?

I'd go with a 959 or a 949, they seem to stabilize with the temp. But hell to my ear not many folks are not on frequency anyway, and that's coming out of a 2950dx speaker.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.