• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best band for the buck 2 pill?

just because he has an am radio doesnt mean he has to use a crappy amp with a bias design (or lack of) never intented for a modulated signal irreguardless of transmission mode . so he could get a texas star 350 (if the 399's arnt available) and have an amp designed not only for PROPPER am transmission but also PROPPER ssb transmission should he ever want to try it ,then and not have to upgrade because he has a substandard amp design . of course if you dont care about distortion and harmonics caused by driving pills 2,3, and sometimes 4 times their designed output then have at the class c amps . as far as durability goes , texas star has been building amps far longer than the class c copies of copies of copies . youll see old ones beat to crap by folks for sale that are still workin like a timex . look at the forums where people are having trouble with their amps , class C amps rule those threads .

lol @ recomending a high drive amp for a single final cb radio ! he'll have to get a bigger radio or a second amp to drive a high drive amp . makes great business sense . sell someone a amp that requires a another amp to drive it .

you can find good deals in the forum here . i got a texas star 500v for 180 plus 20 shipping from a forum member here last summer .

this hobby is all about options though . do you have a good antenna setup to make the most of what ever amp you do get ?

im done .

If Texas Star amps are so great then why don't you own one? If I remember correctly you asked hundreds of questions on CBRT researching an amp purchase and you ended up buying a $40 beat up 2 pill from the 1970's. Not everyone is like you and some people want something better and stronger. If you like being a duck that's great but don't expect everyone else to be one also......... most people expect performance for their hard earned money.
I do agree with 9C1Driver about the Magnaforce 350 being the best bang for the buck.
This is Psycho and I approve this message.
After all the thread is "Best bang for the buck 2 pill".....isn't it????

Last edited:
Thats my take right there, 550 watts from from a 3 pill......maybe spread out over 10 channels in each direction. No way at normal voltage will you see 550 watts from two 2879's. The cleanest class C amp will always be dirtier then the same in class AB. Here is a good link.

http://www.customcbradios.com/articles/article/6641578/115734.htm

All I can tell you is that I never had a single complaint running that amp...it did just fine and was as clean sounding as they get.

Again, garbage in is garbage out.

If Texas Star amps are so great then why don't you own one? If I remember correctly you asked hundreds of questions on CBRT researching an amp purchase and you ended up buying a $40 beat up 2 pill from the 1970's. Not everyone is like you and some people want something better and stronger. If you like being a duck that's great but don't expect everyone else to be one also......... most people expect performance for their hard earned money.
I do agree with 9C1Driver about the Magnaforce 350 being the best bang for the buck.
This is Psycho and I approve this message.

once again , someone who doesnt know what theyre talking about . the old 2 pill i had was given to me by a friend i helped move , never said anything about paying anything for it . last fall i bought a palomar 225 from the col. last summer i got a texas star 500v from a forum member here . i didnt post this to prove anything to you , but to show you dont know WTF youre talking about .

asking lots of questions was because of the varying answers i got . it took a while to wade through all the class C bullcrap and and realize what it truly is . some folks have a $$$ intrest in promoting class C amps . not protecting them from the truth in forums isnt good business sense for them .
BTW , how is business going at world wide amps ?

have a nice day . :)

p.s. this will be my only reply to you in this thread . please dont trash it with your usual nonsense !!!!

Hey Jerk, I have heard a 3 pill Dave amp that was ASSUME on the air. I just don't agree with the 550 watt thing thats all. the one I heard was a 400 to maybe 450 if he really cranked it up. Like I said at 350-450 it was wall to wall.

I agree, the 550 watts was most likely due to a loose meter and watts not-on-frequency. If I flipped back and forth between the 3-pill and my 2-pill (both fatboys), there was little (if any) difference on the receiving end.

The only benefit of the internal driver (if there is one), would be if you had a radio unable to drive two pills...but when was the last you encountered that??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio