• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best beam for low height

Not dis agreeing with you Road Squaker, just stating that any receiver would not be able to tell the difference between a quad or a regular yagi uda.

As far as SNR, I agree the full wave closed loop does seem to be more quiet as was stated in my previous post.

I like a quad,
I have one behind the shack right now if I decide to ever install it again on a 40' tower, on the taller towers I only put regular yagi's due to wind loading, the higher you install a quad the harder they fall. Especially here in Florida with the thunderstorms coming off the gulf and the hurricanes.

Reactions: 2RT307
I am enjoying this thread..I have allways liked quads and v Delta loops...they are interesting antennas and you guys have explained a lot..I think the V Quad or a reg Quad would be a blast at low to modest height! I have allways wanted to stack V quads and let her sing!

Like this? It belonged to Pete, Needlebender 999 in Canada. R.I.P!

Brett

Reactions: wavrider
Awesome...how well did it work for him? The elder that got me into radio had a similar set up but much closer to the ground

He used to hit me pretty hard here in Texas. IIRC, he died shortly after building this setup.

Brett

Was this just Maco v quads stacked or did he build his own?

Stacked V quads. The setup had a chain driven motor as the rotor at the base of the truss. I think the Needlebender website used to have pictures of all of it and details of the build, but I'm not sure if it's still on the internet. (It was years ago, around 2007 or so).

Brett

Lightning L4.... and be done with it.
ant1%202_1.jpg

Reactions: Needle Bender
with a beam ....im expecting your looking for "DX"..
With the height you have mentioned is about the "turn over point" for horizontal versus vertical.

In short...vertical polarisation provides rather low angle when placed at "low" heights.
Horizontal antennas bennefit from height in a more "advanced" way then verticals would.

As soon as you go above say 20-25 feet the horizontal one will have a lower take off angle and have more gain (due to ground refelections) when we compare it to the vertical.

Yes, there are things to consider ...like type of ground etc.

So..the "key" is...height...The labor invested in it, would bennefit you more compared to the question delta loop versus quad.
But for 20/25 feet:
A delta loop due to its mechanical construction would sit "on top" of the mast.
There for the entire antenna is a bit higher and i can imagine giving it the "edge" of others in this case.

If you can not reach that 25 feet it could be wise to consider a vertical setup, or perhaps better a hor/ver like a pdl2 or so.

73s H.

LoL, I absolutely LOVE the amusement I glean from hearing or reading the Quad skeptics comments.
Having had 3, 4 & 5 el Yagis and a 3 el Quad, I would never go back to a Yagi.

Having actually experienced the apparent 'magic' my Quads provided, I'm not even slightly offended by the (mostly inexperienced) nay-sayers inaccuracies propagated in the name of superior mathematics.

The best I can offer at this point is another very British colloquialism;

"Who Dares, Wins."

- Tea anyone? :p

http://www.lightningantennas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/L4chica.jpg

Reactions: 314 and wavrider
I can imagine you have had that experience.

Though i doubt the difference made is because of yagi versus quad.
(especially when placed at a decent height).cause i never had that experience.
And yes, i have tested constructed measured etc.

Perhaps the yagi's didnt perform to its abbiltily ? Or there were other causes ?

Be open..try to find out what has happend ...what is the cause ...?

Of course..if the user is happy...that is the most important thing.
And reading your post you seem to be happy...:)

Enjoy the upcomming hollidays,
73s H>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.