• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best mic for 2985dx

Best Mic for a 2985DX

I have a 2985DX and use an Astatic 575M6 mic with great results. The audio is loud and clear. I like the tone control the 575 has. The 2985 has great modulation so you will have to be careful not to over drive it with the 575. I keep the gain on the 575 set at about 2 of the range 1-9. The gain on the radio is set at about 3 oclock on the dial. This gives a very clear, clean and loud audio.
Only thing is now that Astatic no longer makes the 575M6 the price is going higher all the time. The 575 is my favorite mic. They are comfortable to hold for extended QSO's and sound great.

Hope this helps.

73 for now and God Bless, John CDX 409

the d104 m series and a lollypop sound nothing alike. i have various examples of each and the d104 m is about 65% of the punch a realy d104 has. the d104 m's dont belong on a base, they dont have what it takes to compete with a real mic.

#1. d104/ eagles -loudest audio and best long reach mic. can be shrill and tinny unless you do a few modern touches to it. easiest bay to make it sound more natural is to add a 33k ohm resistor in series with the audio wire in the base (should be white wire) that adds the lost bass that the impedience mismatch brought with it.

#2. turner +3 - built in compressor great for mid distance and smooth "broadcast" sound. 90% as clear as the d104 but they are really plesent mics to listen to. my favorite to hear and second to use.

#3. kenwood mc-60 - very smooth close/mid range mic. very natural audio but a half decent used one brings $80-$100 with top examples bringling closer to $175. they are expensive but sound very real.

#4. sadelta echo master plus- unique beeps but very adjustable echo and audio that can compete with a d104. harder mic to get to sound smooth. this is the mic that 90% of latin skip uses im shure of it, every damn time i hear mexican skip they are using a sadelta beep with to much echo.

#5. shure 526t - i rate it along side the tram and icom mics. clear audio but ive always felt it was a better ssb mic and not so much a rag chewing mic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.