• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Radio for mobile dx

apmr0911

May 2, 2011
hi ppl I am new at it forum and new as radio operator I am a 18 wheels driver I have a cobra 29 ltd bt and a wilson 2000 trucker at a mack vision as allknow normal for road uses but some timealgo I was on my granpa house and he is a older ham amateour have a ft 1000 and a rci 2950 first generation version then I see him doing dx at the 27.455 talking far distance and wow I see it and is nice then I was thinking ok I like change my crappy am cb radio for a rci 2950 but my question is for mobile will work too for do dxs? will the wilson 2000 trucker work for do dxs? and I was looking at ebay for get a radio and I dont know witch one to choose because some ppl say the first generation of 2950 is better than the dxs ones then I dont know witch one buy witch is better 2950 or 2950dx thx and sorry for my bad language I am spanish spaker =):LOL:

Nothing wrong with a 2950.

Wilson 2000 is OK as well.

DX conditions are not very good now, don't expect much. Not the radios fault nor the antenna.

Might want to consider a 2 or 300 watt amp. That will help some when DX starts rolling again.

2950 DX
AM isn't Great with them though.
If I was driving truck, I would get a Magnum S9.
Great AM and SSB.
Lots of freqs to use and power too.

have had both and many others the s9 is a killer 10m mobile DXer

I also say the RCI 2950 DX I have a few different models of the RCI 2950 and I like them all and as far as the 2950DX not being good on AM like anyother radio there are tricks and different things to try like Microphones are a big one they all sound diffreent with each persons voice so find the one that sounds good with your voice.

Ide reccomend if you can find one an ASTATIC 575 or a Turner plus three handheld for a power mic and for a noise canceling a ASTATIC 636.

I also say the RCI 2950 DX I have a few different models of the RCI 2950 and I like them all and as far as the 2950DX not being good on AM like anyother radio there are tricks and different things to try like Microphones are a big one they all sound diffreent with each persons voice so find the one that sounds good with your voice.

Ide reccomend if you can find one an ASTATIC 575 or a Turner plus three handheld for a power mic and for a noise canceling a ASTATIC 636.

I agree, I am running a Rci-2950dx with a Wilson mag mount 1000, And for the mic, I am using the Astatic D-104m6 backed with a Palomar Magnum and i am getting great reports with my set-up. And Skip is coming around. Made some contacts on Am and SSB.

thx u pplfor the support =) then i will keep the wilson 2000 trucker and I will try get a rci 2950 from ebay because I dont have alotof money for it =) the magnun s9 is nicebutthe priceif hight thenlater when I get some money I will buy alinearwhat I seen at amazon a fat boy 450w am/ssb and get a good coax cable here is a problem get em at good quality what is best the rg58a/u or the mini8?

either a rci 2950 or 2970
for antenna your wilson or an open coil antenna like a predator10k
the magnum s9 is a good radio also but especially on ssb i think
the rci is just a hair better. and i have 2 magnums

either a rci 2950 or 2970
for antenna your wilson or an open coil antenna like a predator10k
the magnum s9 is a good radio also but especially on ssb i think
the rci is just a hair better. and i have 2 magnums

That "Top Gun" modulator is a cool feature. (y)

I have a RCI-2970
it is Destroyed by my Icom 706 MKIIG
which is Destroyed by my IC-7000

However...
the 706 MKIIG is a very good radio and can be picked up cheep ( since can only be gotten used now anyways)

Those RCI 2950 & 2970 series radios are decent but they are splash boxes..also you get way more channels and bands with the 706..

Anyways....Do what you think works best for you

All these recommendations for ham rigs is quite amusing, but misplaced. The last thing a trucker needs is a VFO to fart around with while driving. As well, you have to squint at the read-out to look at the frequencies, not channels. On the other hand, the freeband is all frequencies not channels, anyway. Something to think about. Just my thoughts.

I have a RCI-2970
it is Destroyed by my Icom 706 MKIIG
which is Destroyed by my IC-7000

However...
the 706 MKIIG is a very good radio and can be picked up cheep ( since can only be gotten used now anyways)

Those RCI 2950 & 2970 series radios are decent but they are splash boxes..also you get way more channels and bands with the 706..

Anyways....Do what you think works best for you

You get what you pay for and not many people in their right mind would consider and Icom in a semi-truck application and if they did consider an hf radio they would obviously use sanity and chose one of the fine line of kenwood radios but for what it is and it's overall cost the RCI-2950/2970 are an excellent choice for dxing.

On HF rigs, you shouldnt need to mess with the VFO.
I know you can use a 2.5KHz or 5KHz tuning step mode in SSB, which works well on 11m.
At least thats how it is on ft-857d. No more difficult than CB channel knob.

Today there is less expensive alternative radio DX-SR8T.
mobile HF rigs can be easy if you set them up right.

About the Magnum S9: it has frequency drift as well, been reported up to 2KHz during warm up. Alot of drifty designs have been end-of-life'd the past decade, good thing. whos next.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.