• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Shop for tuning?

Merc1973

Mar 24, 2011
Hello all, I have been MIA from CB forums for some time, I used to be online during the days of outing the gay clown and from the Col.'s amps r us.

I have my old DX959 as a backup radio with a bad echo board and loud squeal. Who are the best techs out there these days. In the past I have had the Wizard from Wizardbuilt or Sparky's fix and wake it up but it looks like neither is in the service business based on their web sites....

Im now in the Baltimore area if someone knows anybody local or a decent shop to ship my rig to, any help would be appreciated!

Be careful how you phase what you ask for.
A 'tune up' is different from asking for a full alignment.

A full alignment means just that - everything gets adjusted by the book. Accept nothing less when shelling out ~$30 for an AM radio, and ~$45 for a SSB radio.

A tune-up will get you some monkey with a golden screwdriver changing the modulation pot and the dead key watts, telling you it never sounded so right, and charging you $30. In your own best interest, be specific regardless who you send it to.

Sparky's, The Preacherman, or Custom CB Radio. They will do as you request; be specific.

The Preacherman is top notch; but I can't find his web site ATM. So here is another OK shop:

Site Disclaimer - Custom CB radios

DTB radio is a good place, and he will make sure your radio is treated properly.
CB Radio - DTB Radio's Front Page
Hey, he is even accredited by the BBB, is an Authorized Galaxy repair tech, and what I call a real Tech with his Associate of Applied Science Degree in Electronics...heck he even has real test gear. ( http://www.dtbradio.com/testeqip.html )
Just do not ask him to remove the AMC/ALC limiter, he will not do it, and that is a good thing.
I think his standard "tune up" is $20 bucks
His E-mail is
DTBradio(at) pa.net

DTB Radio
1900 Harrisburg Pike
Carlisle, Pa. 17015

Jeff

DTB radio is a good place, and he will make sure your radio is treated properly.
Hey, he is even accredited by the BBB, is an Authorized Galaxy repair tech, and what I call a real Tech with his Associate of Applied Science Degree in Electronics...heck he even has real test gear. ( Test Equipment )
Just do not ask him to remove the AMC/ALC limiter, he will not do it, and that is a good thing.
His E-mail is
DTBradio(at) pa.net

DTB Radio
1900 Harrisburg Pike
Carlisle, Pa. 17015

Jeff

DITTO
also like robb customcbradios.com

Hey, he is even accredited by the BBB, is an Authorized Galaxy repair tech, and what I call a real Tech with his Associate of Applied Science Degree in Electronics...heck he even has real test gear. ( Test Equipment )
His E-mail is
DTBradio(at) pa.net

DTB Radio
1900 Harrisburg Pike
Carlisle, Pa. 17015

Jeff

Thanks for the info. It looks like he doesn't take radios with "improper modifications" like swing kits, which mine has... That's too bad since he wasn't terribly far from the inlaws house. I might just clip the leads to the echo board of now...

Another vote for DTB Radio in Carlisle PA, Dave has done a lot of work for me in the last 3 years or so and he's Top Shelf in my book. Good prices, Fantastic Quality work and very fast turn around time, it sure doesn't get any better than that

Another vote for DTB Radio in Carlisle PA, Dave has done a lot of work for me in the last 3 years or so and he's Top Shelf in my book. Good prices, Fantastic Quality work and very fast turn around time, it sure doesn't get any better than that

What about Bob's CB Shop off of I-80 in Penn. He has a web-site, And he works on Galaxy's with Mod Kits. I have never used him yet. When my Tech retires, Then I will be in trouble.

Too bad Panther Electronics in NH is no longer around. The owner, John, was not only a first rate tech, but also the genuine article as far as being a fair and reasonable gent.

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Too bad Panther Electronics in NH is no longer around. The owner, John Mahoney , was not only a first rate tech, but also the genuine article as far as being a fair and reasonable gent.
I can not agree more, the last New Lincoln I bought Came from John with his up-grades, the man was a real radio tech.
He had a great forum as well.
I remember the days, John, Chris (firebreather) Richard,(8541)....lots of good guy`s

Jeff

I sent my brand new Magnum S9 to Bobs for a repair, it sat there well over 7 weeks and he never even looked at it so if your not in a hurry but hope it doesn't get lost there either, if you have a Magnum I have used Mountain View Electronics in Tennessee or the Radio Shop in Ontairo Calif, anything else
Dave at DTB is the MAN

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.