• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Small amp selection for SSB

575nightrider

Nov 26, 2023
southwest Arkansas
I need some help. For the last twenty something years the only amps I've owned were TS 500HDV, lighting got the last one and it was 10-12 yrs old. I loved those amps, class A/B bias, run it on half pwr on ssb and it chugged out all you needed to be heard.
I've read to many bad things about poor quality and other issues for texas star, bad solders and such. Unless I can find a used one (good luck), I could use some help. I want this to use mainly on SSB.
I have a Galaxy 93T,(I use it for a base) it's set at 8-10-W dk swings to 40, this went into a HDV500 for years.
I'm in the dark on anything new, but I'm looking at a davemade 2-Pill Big Case with HG 2879, fan is standard on it, you can add SSB, variable pwr, preamp. I contacted them and there reply: " Any up to 40 watts would be safe. 100 watts is the max input DaveMade · 6:17 PM "
Then fatboy has a two pill with HG 2879"C"s which are stouter. It must be clean power and something that will last.
What's my best options?

Reactions: Keto

I'm not a Expert on amplifiers by any stretch of the imagination. But I feel like any transistorized amp that doesn't have real honest-to-goodness Toshiba 2879/2290 transistors in it is a waste of time. I get where Nomad is going with his question. Do you still have the DX500 ?? I think he feels (and so do I ) that you're better off buying real Toshibas and having it rebuilt by a reputable tech.

We get a ton of severe lightning/thunder storms here, and I ALWAYS disconnect my antenna, rotor, and radios every night. I disconnect my coax at the tower base so if I do get a strike, it (hopefully) won't get into the shack. If your DX500 had real Toshibas, whatever new amp you buy won't measure up.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

- J.J. 399

Finding 4 matched original 2879's - be prepared to take a loan out at the bank.

Since you have a 100amp PS and following your 50% rule:

IMO, the closest you will get to what you had is getting a straight 4 HG2879C in a B bias. See if the builder will adjust it to A/B passive (Like the TS 500) or if you can get a builder to add an active bias and set it to B at least.

A cheaper solution would be a KL703. Active Bias, well built, easy to repair if you need to. Just run it on High and set your 93T to "med" power. As long as your SWR is 1.5 or less, it should last you a long time. The current version has some factory changes so you have a good Input SWR on "high" and different output transistors.

Finding 4 matched original 2879's - be prepared to take a loan out at the bank.

Since you have a 100amp PS and following your 50% rule:

IMO, the closest you will get to what you had is getting a straight 4 HG2879C in a B bias. See if the builder will adjust it to A/B passive (Like the TS 500) or if you can get a builder to add an active bias and set it to B at least.

A cheaper solution would be a KL703. Active Bias, well built, easy to repair if you need to. Just run it on High and set your 93T to "med" power. As long as your SWR is 1.5 or less, it should last you a long time. The current version has some factory changes so you have a good Input SWR on "high" and different output transistors.
Thanks' Dr, my swr is 1.2....73's

I'm not a Expert on amplifiers by any stretch of the imagination. But I feel like any transistorized amp that doesn't have real honest-to-goodness Toshiba 2879/2290 transistors in it is a waste of time. I get where Nomad is going with his question. Do you still have the DX500 ?? I think he feels (and so do I ) that you're better off buying real Toshibas and having it rebuilt by a reputable tech.

We get a ton of severe lightning/thunder storms here, and I ALWAYS disconnect my antenna, rotor, and radios every night. I disconnect my coax at the tower base so if I do get a strike, it (hopefully) won't get into the shack. If your DX500 had real Toshibas, whatever new amp you buy won't measure up.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

- J.J. 399
I was cheated out of it by a tech who said it's toast, in Lew of a bench fee. After what the last tech did after working on my radio I'm not feeling to lucky about finding one. As a matter of fact, I too unhook my equipment when not in use. but oh never mind, thanks for your input

Reactions: Keto
I need some help. For the last twenty something years the only amps I've owned were TS 500HDV, lighting got the last one and it was 10-12 yrs old. I loved those amps, class A/B bias, run it on half pwr on ssb and it chugged out all you needed to be heard.
I've read to many bad things about poor quality and other issues for texas star, bad solders and such. Unless I can find a used one (good luck), I could use some help. I want this to use mainly on SSB.
I have a Galaxy 93T,(I use it for a base) it's set at 8-10-W dk swings to 40, this went into a HDV500 for years.
I'm in the dark on anything new, but I'm looking at a davemade 2-Pill Big Case with HG 2879, fan is standard on it, you can add SSB, variable pwr, preamp. I contacted them and there reply: " Any up to 40 watts would be safe. 100 watts is the max input DaveMade · 6:17 PM "
Then fatboy has a two pill with HG 2879"C"s which are stouter. It must be clean power and something that will last.
What's my best option

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.