• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best SSB Radio under $300?

I understand why many recommend older amateur HF radios, but after 50 years in radio, I would not recommend them, due to their age and old, out of spec components.

Modern CB radios, particularly those made by Anytone, provide good value, if the primary use is in CB.

Many older amateur radios have issues that many may not be aware of. I have heard many hams recommend getting a TS-440 or Icom IC-706MkIIG, but I never hear them give the cautionary advisory about the common failures of those radios. I have personally seen a couple of people get hosed by following these sort of recommendations, so I just think we should provide all the info when making recommendations.

It may not apply to the OP, but there may be some new radio operator reading this thread and run out an buy a TS-440, only to have the dreaded “dots“ appear on the screen, or find the finals of his $300 IC-706MkII give out, and look at a potential $600+ repair.

It may be time for us old farts to realize that what we knew as good and reliable, may no longer be the case.

I understand why many recommend older amateur HF radios, but after 50 years in radio, I would not recommend them, due to their age and old, out of spec components.

Modern CB radios, particularly those made by Anytone, provide good value, if the primary use is in CB.

Many older amateur radios have issues that many may not be aware of. I have heard many hams recommend getting a TS-440 or Icom IC-706MkIIG, but I never hear them give the cautionary advisory about the common failures of those radios. I have personally seen a couple of people get hosed by following these sort of recommendations, so I just think we should provide all the info when making recommendations.

It may not apply to the OP, but there may be some new radio operator reading this thread and run out an buy a TS-440, only to have the dreaded “dots“ appear on the screen, or find the finals of his $300 IC-706MkII give out, and look at a potential $600+ repair.

It may be time for us old farts to realize that what we knew as good and reliable, may no longer be the case.
I have not been a ham as long as you but I have 35 years under my belt now. I recommend radios that can actually be worked on. My daily driver on the air is a Yaesu 101zdmkII, yes it's old but if something goes wrong I can fix it. I would never recommend a 706, 440, or like radios because, for the most part, they are no longer repairable. I have a 706 sitting on the shelf now because the PLL went out and it's not repairable unless I buy another one for parts. P.S. I use a Yaesu 901DM with a transverter for 2/6.

If you are willing to consider a used radio, the Icom 718 is in that price range. They are great on sideband and with a carrier adjustment inside the radio, they are great on AM too. I run one with rack gear into the accessory port in the back, but they also sound great with the stock mic.

If you are willing to consider a used radio, the Icom 718 is in that price range. They are great on sideband and with a carrier adjustment inside the radio, they are great on AM too. I run one with rack gear into the accessory port in the back, but they also sound great with the stock mic.

The poor 718 is always over looked. I have recommended them so many times when a new ham wants to get into HF. Yeah its not featured rich but they are 100% solid reliable radios that will last for years.

As far as "Best ssb CB radio under 300" the 959 would be my choice of fcc approved cb radios. Good power output that can be improved with a better final transistor, easily modifiable for extra frequencies unlike any other ssb cb currently available. Tone control on receive, good frequency stability after initial warmup.

For those folks that are looking for an SSB radio priced under $300, I find it very hard to look past any of the Anytone flavored radios with the DSP feature! Many are easily converted to 11 meter by just about anyone. Some you don't even have to open the covers. These radios just work! Sure a bad one will escape into the wild, but can we honestly say that Ranger made radios are the gold standard regarding reliability anymore? JMHO.

JD

I've been giving this some serious thought. I have several of the Anytones, Q5N2, Q6, Top Gun Q5, and I have 3 FCC approved CB radios I use regularly. These are all under $300.00
If I had to pick only one radio. Hands down it would be the Anytone Ares 2. It's a 40 watt radio (10 through12 meter) with a price tag around $200.00 and after putting some hours into it, this radio is absolutely the best sounding one of the bunch. Stock mic and untouched with the exception of the initial testing.

But this is me and my personal experience, so take it for what it's worth.

I've been giving this some serious thought. I have several of the Anytones, Q5N2, Q6, Top Gun Q5, and I have 3 FCC approved CB radios I use regularly. These are all under $300.00
If I had to pick only one radio. Hands down it would be the Anytone Ares 2. It's a 40 watt radio (10 through12 meter) with a price tag around $200.00 and after putting some hours into it, this radio is absolutely the best sounding one of the bunch. Stock mic and untouched with the exception of the initial testing.

But this is me and my personal experience, so take it for what it's worth.
Challenge accepted brother, you've opened a can of worms and I challenge you to a battle of the qixiangs! I'll put my 7900v turbo against your ares 2 because I believe the 7900v sounds best!!! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.