• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Big amplifier. Never finished. Dang!

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
So I can't say this project was nipped in the bud. More like pulled halfway from the grave before letting it slide back in?
Maybe not that bad, but this amplifier was built with a 4-1000A glass tube. They had gotten particularly expensive ten years ago when this thing ended up in my lap. Never mind how. It needed a new tube and a new socket, both. Back then the YC-156 high-gain triode was still not terribly expensive if you scored a pullout. Pullout tubes tended to have thousands of hours of good service still in them when removed from MRI scanners for preventative maintenance.

N5d5Og.jpg

Ten years later they're not so plentiful. The medical scanning technology has gone solid-state, or so I'm told.

EN1TLG.jpg

The project to convert this homebrew amplifier to the YC tube looked economically viable when I assigned it to a young employee. Then he went on a camping trip to the Clifford Pinchot national forest. On the opposite side of the continent, more or less.

He hasn't been heard from since 2016.

By anyone.

BVkUIE.jpg

I lost all interest in completing this project. The four foot-tall BUD rack cabinet has to go, along with this tube and the RF deck that goes into it.

D5Roz4.jpg

And no, you can't hire me to finish it. It was intended to keep it and use. I have acquired a Drake amplifier that serves this need in the meantime. That's plenty large enough for my purposes. It just needs to go.

eUbwhS.jpg

Somewhere.

Q2evvU.jpg

Else.
Yes, local pickup only. No way on earth I'll try to ship this thing.

Seems inevitable someone will ask "how much for just the tube?"

Here's the deal. 1200 bucks for the whole package, incomplete project, cabinet and tube.

But for just the tube alone? 2200 bucks. Yeah, the box-lot strategy. Box of books, five bucks. Any single book from it, 20 bucks.

We have tested the tube in two different customers' amplifiers in the since I acquired it. Showed 4000 Watt peaks with 100 Watts peak drive at 5000 Volts on the anode. Never pushed it harder than that. No guarantees. I just don't want it back.

Took me forever to extract these two pieces from under other stuff. The cabinet will see daylight and get photographed in a few days, barring distractions.

I really need the room. I'll post pics of the cabinet when it's out in the open.

I'll post it in the proper 'for sale' section when it's real. Until then, it's just a rumor with pictures.

So I can't say this project was nipped in the bud. More like pulled halfway from the grave before letting it slide back in?
Maybe not that bad, but this amplifier was built with a 4-1000A glass tube. They had gotten particularly expensive ten years ago when this thing ended up in my lap. Never mind how. It needed a new tube and a new socket, both. Back then the YC-156 high-gain triode was still not terribly expensive if you scored a pullout. Pullout tubes tended to have thousands of hours of good service still in them when removed from MRI scanners for preventative maintenance.

N5d5Og.jpg

Ten years later they're not so plentiful. The medical scanning technology has gone solid-state, or so I'm told.

EN1TLG.jpg

The project to convert this homebrew amplifier to the YC tube looked economically viable when I assigned it to a young employee. Then he went on a camping trip to the Clifford Pinchot national forest. On the opposite side of the continent, more or less.

He hasn't been heard from since 2016.

By anyone.

BVkUIE.jpg

I lost all interest in completing this project. The four foot-tall BUD rack cabinet has to go, along with this tube and the RF deck that goes into it.

D5Roz4.jpg

And no, you can't hire me to finish it. It was intended to keep it and use. I have acquired a Drake amplifier that serves this need in the meantime. That's plenty large enough for my purposes. It just needs to go.

eUbwhS.jpg

Somewhere.

Q2evvU.jpg

Else.
Yes, local pickup only. No way on earth I'll try to ship this thing.

Seems inevitable someone will ask "how much for just the tube?"

Here's the deal. 1200 bucks for the whole package, incomplete project, cabinet and tube.

But for just the tube alone? 2200 bucks. Yeah, the box-lot strategy. Box of books, five bucks. Any single book from it, 20 bucks.

We have tested the tube in two different customers' amplifiers in the since I acquired it. Showed 4000 Watt peaks with 100 Watts peak drive at 5000 Volts on the anode. Never pushed it harder than that. No guarantees. I just don't want it back.

Took me forever to extract these two pieces from under other stuff. The cabinet will see daylight and get photographed in a few days, barring distractions.

I really need the room. I'll post pics of the cabinet when it's out in the open.

I'll post it in the proper 'for sale' section when it's real. Until then, it's just a rumor with pictures.

You have my attention but the idea of spending another 1200 on a plate transformer is upsetting lol

I really should do a hipot test on the HV transformer that comes with it. And make sure I know what the secondary voltage is. The one safe way I know to do that is to feed 12 Volts AC into the primary. Should keep the secondary voltages below the poof threshold for my meters, and makes the arithmetic easy to predict the output voltage with full line power applied.

I really should do a hipot test on the HV transformer that comes with it. And make sure I know what the secondary voltage is. The one safe way I know to do that is to feed 12 Volts AC into the primary. Should keep the secondary voltages below the poof threshold for my meters, and makes the arithmetic easy to predict the output voltage with full line power applied.

I did not know it came with a plate trans, what current?

I finally got the amplifier's BUD cabinet extracted and into the daylight to photograph it. Just in time to bug out of town to the Dayton Hamvention. Just glad I had a day with dry weather and some help to wrangle it, both.

Has a front and back door, both. Okay, the lower panel in front is a hatch, not really a door.

MWxS23.jpg

y2k3Fa.jpg

I haven't checked the HV transformer for output voltage or for insulation breakdown yet. Getting ready for Dayton. If nobody wants it before I get around to those two checks, I'll update the info then.

XnBluc.jpg

Yes, it's big.

XWxh1z.jpg

9L4J7X.jpg

The bridge rectifier was apparently big enough for the original 4-1000 tube. Pretty sure I tested it about ten years ago. Pretty sure.

nnXkX4.jpg

THis blower says 148cfm at zero back pressure. Seems to me comparing it to the YC156 spec sheet it would be good for between 2000 and 3000 Watts dissipation on that tube. Didn't make a written record. Naturally the air volume shrinks as back pressure increases. This is a pre-ROHS blower, probably not listed any longer, so finding the spec might be a bug hunt.

bg7Fj5.jpg

sbW64v.jpg

There is no HV filter capacitor. I built one with fourteen 450-Volt caps in series, but had a weak moment and sold it a few years back. I had already given up on completing this project even then.

But hey, if finally got extracted to ground level where it can be claimed and hauled away.

After Hamvention, mind you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.