• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BIG Power Supply

akzo1990

Apr 4, 2005
Arkansas
I would like show everybody my home brew power supply. I got the plans out of a '94 ARRL Handbook. I think the supply was originally for about 15 amps. I decided to upscale it a bit. Instead of using four 2n3055 pass transistors I went with thirty. It has a Miller 400 amp welding machine transformer. The bridge is mounted on top of the transformer. By the specs of the diodes they should be good for 400 amps continuous. I also have a hockey puk SCR for an OVP. PS works fine so far. I've had it up to 90 amps and held it for as long as you want.

I am going to try to put this link in this post so please let me know if it works.

ED

pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/akzo90/my_photos

n

</p>

I would like show everybody my home brew power supply. I got the plans out of a '94 ARRL Handbook. I think the supply was originally for about 15 amps. I decided to upscale it a bit. Instead of using four 2n3055 pass transistors I went with thirty. It has a Miller 400 amp welding machine transformer. The bridge is mounted on top of the transformer. By the specs of the diodes they should be good for 400 amps continuous. I also have a hockey puk SCR for an OVP. PS works fine so far. I've had it up to 90 amps and held it for as long as you want.

I am going to try to put this link in this post so please let me know if it works.

ED

pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/akzo90/my_photos

</p>

Hey Linearone,
Glad you like the power supply project. I haven’t done much to it since I got up and running. I need to get some metal to finish the sides. But I have built an amplifier to go along with it. I just fired it up for the first time this weekend. It is a rack mounted Sweet Sixteen that I have built out of spare parts from old Texas Star 667’s. I will also have the driver mounted in the same cabinet when I finish that board. I have all the step-by-step pictures and I will be posting them in my album soon. This project really turned out nice.

Thanks,
ED

WHAT Kind of antenna is that??? I have 2 of these one has ground planes the other doesnt. These are really long like 20 some feet I am curious as to what they are called or who made them. I also had a different antenna that had an egg wisk type wire ball at the tof anyone knows what this was please input input and more input. Thanks ......Tony

I'm not sure what brand of antenna it is. I have asked that question before forum.worldwidedx.com/viewtopic.php?t=3916&highlight=and got close to an answer, but I believe someone took more than one antenna to put this one together. It has some charateristics of more than one kind. I never got this one to be resonate at any frequency. I used an MFJ antenna analyzer and the antenna had high swr throughout the hf bands. I adjusted the length and the tap on the ring but the swr was still too high.
I do have a ground plane that I am using with the egg beater static hat at the top. It also has three ground plane radials at the bottom. It is a very old antenna and I have no idea who made it either. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and download it to my photo album. It is a really nice antenna and I would like know who makes it also.

ED

The antenna looks like a Cush-Craft "Ringo" end-fed half-wave antenna.

Sure did like mine, but the tap clamp on the ring was missing. The radiator clamp I used would slip when the wind got to it, and screw up the match. Got tired of it and replaced it with a half-wave center-fed vertical dipole on the side of the tower.

I would agree that the antenna started its life out as the Cushcraft Ringo CR-1. But after reading the specs and measuring my antenna it defiantly has had some mods done to it. The ring is 11” in diameter instead of 10” and there are six sections to the antenna instead of five. I believe someone was trying to make this antenna resonate further down the band than 11m. I don’t know the history of the antenna; I rescued it from the recycle center. The biggest problem with antenna would be when they changed the diameter of the ring. I’m sure it is in direct relation to the driven element and is the reasons I cannot make it resonate anywhere.
I have got the pictures of the other antenna in my photo album. Take a look and see what you think it is.

ED

nice power supply, as far as the antenna, i home brewed a end fed half wave verticle. my ring was formed from a 36" piece of 3/8 aluminum rod, then connected to 1"x 1/8" x7 1/2" flat with 1" tabs for mounting, 2 of them . i then mounted a so-239 2 1/2" from the grounded portion portion i started with 12 awg for testing purposes to find my tap point on the ring but i could never get the swr down below 2.8:1 . i then dis assembled the the matching section and installed a second so-239 1 1/4" away from first one, this time i drilled out both so-239's and tapped for 6/32 ss screws, basically i ended up with the same as a cushcraft ar-10. when tuned the ant.(10 ft off the ground held up by my work mate bech). i ended up cutting too much of the capacitor coax and ended up replacing it when i got it to it's mounting location, swr is 1:1 on 26.700 and gets up to 1.3:1 27.950 . which is fine with me becuase this antenna is dedicated to one purpose and should last for a long time, aand has no ground radial to skew the patterns of my other ants. on the tower.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.