• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Big Time Skip on CB & 10m!

Well now yesterday when I started this thread, skip was kicking pretty hard. Every AM/SSB channel I changed the radio to was clanging and ringing. A general continuous confusion of voices, effects, and sounds. It was fully charged with so many people grasping at a moment. Had skip conditions lasted twelve hours it would have the chance to make conversations and re-acquaintances with many in diverse places across the US of A. Or farther...

I would like to say one thing about skip talking. I find that the govt is behind the times when it comes to this rule about doing it - as it is supposed to be against a written FCC rule for the CB. Of course, no one really pays much attention to this rule. I have a story that comes easily to mind to completely devastates this rule. I had a conversation one day with someone on the radio by chance. After several minutes I asked what part of the Bay Area (CA) he was in. He said that he was in Spokane WA. How do you like that? Wasn't even aware that a FCC rule had been broken - neither did he...

Maybe next time when "surf is up" - I might have the chance to talk to members of the WWRF with my radio. But how does one remember anyone's call sign or call number if they can't or don't talk to them on a regular basis?

I think the next time skip is out there - hopefully soon and longer this time - I'm going to start to use the prefix of "WWRF 444". At least if a member is listening and hears such a call - they will know I am a member of this forum. Makes it all easier to identify each other and can reaffirm previous conversations. If I'm on 10 meter - of course I will be using my Ham call sign.

I find that the govt is behind the times
That brought to mind something I was reading last night in an old QST .

In referencing the passing of W4XAA it made mention of some of his accomplishments-

he was editor emeritus of Popular Communications. Aside from serving as editor of Popular Communications, he had written for CB Horizons, S9 and Popular Electronics, and was the author of a number of radio hobbyist books on such subjects as scanning, CB radio and building electronics projects.
ARRLWeb: ARRL NEWS: Prolific Author Tom Kneitel, W4XAA SK

The FCC does not officially recognize the evolving of the CB service as having a "hobby" form even though it is real. Nor will the purist acknowledge the hobby use of CB radio. But I found it interesting that the ARRL when paying tribute to the man above referred to the book he wrote about CB radio as a "hobbyist" book .

Dick Ross, K2MGA, publisher of CQ Magazine, who had worked with Kneitel on a number of publishing projects since 1961, told the ARRL he was "one of the most creative people I've known in my life….He came up with the name S9 and created the whole editorial package." Ross added: "His contributions were enormous. He kind of defined the personal communications hobby -- he brought together the whole range of disparate subcultures if you will -- it's all hobby radio. He was the one who brought them together. He saw the fun in the whole thing.

Nothing to start a war over just an interesting observation.

Well now yesterday when I started this thread, skip was kicking pretty hard. Every AM/SSB channel I changed the radio to was clanging and ringing. A general continuous confusion of voices, effects, and sounds. It was fully charged with so many people grasping at a moment. Had skip conditions lasted twelve hours it would have the chance to make conversations and re-acquaintances with many in diverse places across the US of A. Or farther...

I would like to say one thing about skip talking. I find that the govt is behind the times when it comes to this rule about doing it - as it is supposed to be against a written FCC rule for the CB. Of course, no one really pays much attention to this rule. I have a story that comes easily to mind to completely devastates this rule. I had a conversation one day with someone on the radio by chance. After several minutes I asked what part of the Bay Area (CA) he was in. He said that he was in Spokane WA. How do you like that? Wasn't even aware that a FCC rule had been broken - neither did he...

Maybe next time when "surf is up" - I might have the chance to talk to members of the WWRF with my radio. But how does one remember anyone's call sign or call number if they can't or don't talk to them on a regular basis?

I think the next time skip is out there - hopefully soon and longer this time - I'm going to start to use the prefix of "WWRF 444". At least if a member is listening and hears such a call - they will know I am a member of this forum. Makes it all easier to identify each other and can reaffirm previous conversations. If I'm on 10 meter - of course I will be using my Ham call sign.

It's fun to use the chat feature on the forum to find members to try to contact. More people should do it.

Over the years there has been several petitions to lift the ban on "skip talking".The FCC doesn't put much effort in enforcing this rule so chances are you won't receive a violation for talking skip.Just to be safe I only talk 150 miles and have the other station listen the rest of the way.

Over the years there has been several petitions to lift the ban on "skip talking".The FCC doesn't put much effort in enforcing this rule so chances are you won't receive a violation for talking skip.Just to be safe I only talk 150 miles and have the other station listen the rest of the way.

LOL - I'll have to remember that one...

Yeah, I'm sure they must know that it is useless to enforce and prosecute.

I'm sure that we as citizens should review and recommend revisions of most of the standing CB rules. But the FCC are only the enforcement branch of govt - of course. They don't make the regs. WE do. I am not a political activist nor a scofflaw. But some these regs desperately need changing.

I would like to see more skip contacts brought up on the WWRF. Readers like to hear about contacts and reverify their communications with others.
(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.