• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bird 43 vs Coaxial Dynamics 81000-A????

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
I want a new Bird 43 and the cost will be $319.99 plus $79.99 for a 1000A element. But the Coaxial Dynamics 81000-A will cost $249.99 plus $79.99 for the Bird 1000A element.
I don't give a rats ass about looks or legendary status and I have heard that both meters read the exact same and use the same elements.
That's $400 vs $330........What would you buy??

I've had both Coaxial Dynamics meter, and elements, can't fault them at all, I do currently Own a Bird which would be my choice, reason being resale value. The CD meters seem to sell well used but the resale value is some what less then Bird.

In the end Buy what makes you happy, no reason to not buy the CD gear, unless resale value is a consideration.

I have not used a Coaxial Dynamics meter, but I have several of their elements. I can't tell the difference between CD elements and Bird elements. I wouldn't hesitate to try one of their meters.

identical, in fact cdi's are cheaper and the company actually wants to do business with you when you call, they also dont require a $4500 order each time you call like bird. CDI is awesome
if CDI would make 30ua movements available en masse id tell bird to kiss my bunghole

Reactions: groundwire
Although Birds still set the standard, RF parts Coaxial Dynamics are essentially of the same accuracy. Actually, inside, they are probably made of the same components. They haven't set the coarse of time, however even their slugs are of similar specs.

The biggest difference between the two meters is the 'name'. If you use the same care with either of them the results are the same. So, is the 'name' worth $100 to you?
- 'Doc

Are the 'Birds' being made cheaper? Of course they are, just like every other manufacturer in the world tries to lower the cost of producing what they produce. Does that mean they don't have the same 'quality'? No, it's still the same 'quality' it's ever been.

All I will add is that we used this model from CDI to measure the power output on several of our FM transmitters. If it was good enough for high power commercial broadcasting it should be good enough for 11m. :D

Digital_Wattmeter_LG.jpg

That's $400 vs $330........What would you buy??

The LP100A watt-meter is $435 assembled, and $335 as a kit.
You get a digital vector wattmeter, meaning it doubles as an antenna analyzer, and there are no slugs.

Slugs are often only tested at one frequency, and arent too great elsewhere. If you drop a slug, then forget it.

• Haha
Reactions: groundwire
The biggest difference between the two meters is the 'name'. If you use the same care with either of them the results are the same. So, is the 'name' worth $100 to you?
- 'Doc

Are the 'Birds' being made cheaper? Of course they are, just like every other manufacturer in the world tries to lower the cost of producing what they produce. Does that mean they don't have the same 'quality'? No, it's still the same 'quality' it's ever been.
Not anymore. Bird 43 elements are made in china garbage now. 3/4 of it is plastic, the white cap on the bottom of the element is only held on by friction, in turn they pop off easily and dont fit properly, in some cases they wont stay on at all. On the old usa made bird elements the plastic cap was snapped in under a lip in the metal and did not come off easy. Coaxial dynamics elements are all solid metal/brass, the cap is tightly mounted and they are 100% made in usa. I will never buy bird made in china elements again. I rather support quality from a home town business thats makes their products in the usa.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.