• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bird and slugs

boomer111

May 7, 2005
What would be a good combo for a Export radio with a 4 pill amp (2879)? I would want a slug for reflect too. Last test the amp did 620 43P watts with a clean radio driver. I would like to be able to measure just the radio a Stryker 440hp as well as the amps output. Money is a factor so I need to get the best usable configuration of elements. I am thinking just the regular 43 would be fine. it is the elements values that I need the help with.

Thanks

The biggy is to have a forward reading slug that's rated for more than you'd ever expect to see when doing that reading. If roughly 650 watts is typical for your amplifier, then a 1000 watt slug seems reasonable. As for reading the reflected power level, it just depends on how 'exacting' you have to have. If the reflected power isn't very much, then you have to be able to 'read' a much smaller increment and interpret what it amounts to. Or, spend more money for a lower max power slug for reading reflected power only. That get's into just why you have to know an 'exact' figure. Knowing what those slugs cost, I think I could make some 'guesses' about that reflected power level and save some money. That's up to you though.
- 'Doc

I understand. My reflect is pretty minimal so I guess it's really is not an issue. The MFJ 259B helps me with this too, so I suppose that is enough. I see around a 1/6 to 1/8 of watt at 100 to 150 DK. Even using other SWR meters the needle usually barley moves. So 1000 watt element it is for forward power readings.

Thanks

What would be a good combo for a Export radio with a 4 pill amp (2879)? I would want a slug for reflect too. Last test the amp did 620 43P watts with a clean radio driver. I would like to be able to measure just the radio a Stryker 440hp as well as the amps output. Money is a factor so I need to get the best usable configuration of elements. I am thinking just the regular 43 would be fine. it is the elements values that I need the help with.

Thanks

This is what you need.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-radio-gear-swapshop/131240-bird-43-meter.html

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.