• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Black Cat JB2000. Make the Dracula sign.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Hmm.
JB2000. Wasn't stored well. Brings to mind the old wisdom "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

But the HV winding on the transformer passed the leakage/breakdown test, and the owner wants it fixed. Several decades of experience working for this guy makes me confident he is serious. Besides, he'll come up with tubes. This one has a bum tube that won't light the filament.

And it's crusty.

2N5tl8.jpg

MtVHSA.jpg

This tube socket is grungy enough the heat from the poor connection is probably what melted the solder from the bad tube's filament pin.

Just don't plug a good tube into a socket that looks like this. It won't be good for long.

q2FVny.jpg

Bit by bit the question comes to mind "How many boats did you anchor with this amplifier?"

2adZbp.jpg

But wait: There's more.

lCjNVa.jpg

The owner thought this was a low-drive JB. Someone had added a second 8417 driver tube alongside the original socket. But it wasn't hooked up. The drive had been routed directly to the cathodes of the 3-500Z tubes. And the old low-drive input circuit was gone. A big relief, that. Every one of this model we have fixed for decades has been converted to high (direct) drive to the big tubes. The built-in driver is just a bad idea. Never mind why. How do I count the ways?

So the old driver-tube circuit board goes away.

xn2bSc.jpg

The 12 Volts DC for the antenna relay will come from a rectifier and filter mounted on a tie strip. The keying circuit will be bolted to the rear panel alongside the relay. Not sufficiently interesting to merit a pic.

Air conditioner coil cleaner is mostly phosphoric acid, water and blue dye. But soaking the plate caps in it, and a stainless-wire brush got them presentable again.

lzQZ8W.jpg

The tubes get a tuned input circuit. The coil is wound on a half-inch form, 68pf to ground on the input side, 27pf to ground on the tube side. The tiny glimpse of green at the bottom of the pic is our diode-bias board, but with only 25 diodes in series. This amplifier runs on 2500 Volts to the plates, so we could use the same HV board that puts a full-wave doubler into a Pride. Not interesting enough for a pic.

6UTnC4.jpg

The new tube sockets will last longer with a breeze on the undersides. Doesn't take much. This fan runs from the 12 Volts DC that powers the relay.

UDQsgB.jpg

The new plate choke is one we make for the Heath SB220, Pride DX300 and others. But it's a bit short compared to the original. The solution is to take two of the ceramic pillars we use to make the choke and anchor the long parasitic-choke leads separately from the choke's connections. Should be more durable when tubes get changed. If I had anchored each parasitic directly to the top of the plate choke, the leverage would have destroyed it before long.

viQfDk.jpg

This sure seems like a long post, but I left out a lot. And yes, I did get paid for this job. Anyone who has done this sort of work will have horror stories of orphaned jobs that had good money spent to finish them and never got taken home.

But if you bring me one of these that looks like this one I'll probably make the Dracula sign and tell you not to bother.

Yes, a few months ago, I got one of these monsters to work.
It had many hands in it. has a nice newer Dahl HV transformer.
but all messed up. screwed up to the max!!
found problems with the 8417 driver tube wiring. the resistor
at the screen was incorrect. I took out the
high/low switch and wired it up for "high" power.
I could then drive it with 4 wattts.
the 10 ohm resistor on the negative side of the HV capacitor bank
was bad. dirty contacts on the antenna relay. also the RF key-up circuit
to that relay was wrong. bad RF wiring to the RF to key up circuit.
resistor at the RF input from the driver was burnt.... and so fourth!!!

but I finally got it working !!!!

Reactions: NZ8N
Chris -

What do you use to clean the tube sockets ?? Or ... do you just replace them. I've been using TARN-X that I've reduced about 50% or so. 100% is too tough on the plating.

Chris -

What do you use to clean the tube sockets ?? Or ... do you just replace them. I've been using TARN-X that I've reduced about 50% or so. 100% is too tough on the plating.
Wear gloves. Tarn-x is one of those things that everyone had and everyone thinks is safe, but this one is actually bad to get on you. Some of the ingredients are cancerous, some are bad for your thyroid and iodine uptake, some bad for your swimmers, its quite a coctail of bad stuff.

Its a very useful product though, not trashing tarn-x. Hydrochloric acid, tin and thiourea (tarnx ingredient, can use tarn-x here) makes a solution capable of tinning copper boards!!

Reactions: unit_399
Wear gloves. Tarn-x is one of those things that everyone had and everyone thinks is safe, but this one is actually bad to get on you.
Agree 100%. Half of the text on the TARN-X label is disclaimers and warnings. Stuff is really strong. Still cleans almost as well even when reduced 50-50 with distilled water, but no damage when soaking items a little too long.

Reactions: brandon7861
The best part is when they don’t realize it has a driver so they dump a 4 transistor amp into it. . Needless to say that didn’t end well. And I hate the filaments being in series.

Reactions: linearone
The series filament setup was used by Henry Radio. Cuts the current rating needed for the cathode choke in half. Cuts the wire size needed for the filament secondary in half. So long as both filaments light up, it works just fine. I have used this trick with six and eight tubes to make the size of the filament choke more manageable. Only problem arises when one filament goes open. Throws it all wockerjaw. A small B- only RF choke connected to the mid point between filaments will get roached, typically.

Just an incentive to keep from melting the solder in the tubes' filament pins.

that picture reminds me, on the JB2000 I worked on, one problem was
them screws, star washers, and tube socket standoffs were not making
a good contact with chassis ground. So took them all out, cleaned it up.
put back together then had grounded-grid again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.