• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bloody solar flair

vkrules

Feb 18, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Turned on the radio radio today and thought my RX was dead.No signals at all ,no locals nothing .A very very low noise floor on 10 meters ,11 ,12 and 15 with Just a few rumbles on 20 Had to get a friend to come up on 10 to check the gear. Had a look at a solar weather site and at the time it showed a sun spot that was expected to flair. I guess it did ! Pretty impressive shut down at my QTH.

Reactions: 222DBFL

Spaceweather.com hasn't issued any notices yet but they could be just slow. They are usually right on top of it however. They did say that there was a huge rapidly growing spot that could produce an X-class flare so perhaps it did. It is really weird when you are on the air listening and a flare causes a solar windstream to sweep past earth. the bands can die in a matter of 10-25 seconds. 5/9+20 signals can drop to barely detectable in seconds. You would swear it was the end of the world coming. :eek:

It was the same here vkrules. Had to check my coax to make sure it was hooked up. It was pretty quiet all day, very low floor noise.

MMM .Have now got JAs rolling in as usual What ever it was looks like the worse of it is over. Still no solar flare announcement .Yes CK had that happen a few times over the years can be like someone flipped the switch off and sometimes it just fades away,at least you hear it go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.