• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

boost reception?

rici01

Sep 9, 2014
Hi,

Get a lot of channels towards evening on Band 5.7 but the other bands are pretty silent. Sometimes find a signal or two on Band 11.5

Would boosting my antenna help? Currently I have sheathed copper wire going round half the rooftop

rooftop-wire_zps63f6d52e.jpg

- could I double back on this by adding a new length of wire - would this improve my reception please?

Also have an old tv loop antenna - was wondering if hooking that into the rooftop wire set up might produce some unexpected results?

Thanks,

R

What frequencies are you talking about? Band 5.7 and Band 11.5? Are you talking shortwave 5.7 Megahertz and 11.7 Megahertz aka the 49m and 25m bands?

Yes - sorry, I'm new to this - have results at shortwave 5.7 Megahertz and (less so at) 11.7 Megahertz.

Also have SW Mhz Bands 3.5, 7, 9.5, 14, 15, 17.5 & 27 which are pretty quiet day & night.

Would adding to the antenna help please?

Thanks,

R

For general shortwave reception a wire antenna as long and as high and as in the clear as you can get it will work the best. Anything less is a exactly that....less. I miss the good old days of my 600 foot long end fed wire that was about 10-15 feet off the ground suspended from various trees running roughly in a straight line towards the north-west. I could hear an ant fart in Mongolia :D but then again I could also hear the 10 Kw driver output in standby mode leaking thru the finals from the LF navy transmitter 12 miles line-of-sight away too.:confused: Key down output was 250 Kw which made my receiver scream in pain. :eek:

Thanks, I guess I'll just double up on the copper I've already got on the roof - can't do any harm and might rope me in some more stations.

Can't find that loop antenna anyway - under a ton of stuff somewhere in the garage no doubt :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.