• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Brand New Reproduction Cobra 2000GTL Due Out This Fall !!!

Cotton Mouth

Mar 8, 2007
Brand New Reproduction Cobra 2000GTL Due Out This Fall !!!

NOT.

But I would guess that seeing the thread title got some people's attention. But, what if Cobra would remake a classic, do you think anyone would buy it ?

A couple of days ago, I exchanged emails with someone at Cobra Electronics in their marketing dept. No big deal, but I wasn't quickly dismissed either. My initial attempt was to convince or even influence someone---anyone---at Cobra to consider or explore the possibility of remanufacturing a classic collector radio from their company's past lineup.

I know, I know---the economy isn't so good right now. But like all things developed---the idea is implemented with a concept and a period of time then before realization. Hope someone listens.

Do YOU think there would be some real interest in the possibility of a brand-new, Cobra 2000GTL and/or Cobra 1000GTL and matching accessories such as the speakers and desk mic ? Would anyone like to see it or buy one if they did have the chance ? A special factory made reproduction "Cobra 2000GTL Anniversary Edition" ?

Has anyone noticed what a following these radios have had through the years ? And how crazy/carried away the prices get on Ebay and other such sites, for one in decent condition. Try getting one in unmodified condition, or mint NOS in-the-box! Crazy crazy prices. Way way too much.

I think IMHO that there are alot of guys who would love to own a bone-stock, unmodified virgin Cobra 2000GTL. From there, they could do what they wanted to it. But atleast they wouldn't be starting out with a heavily modded-out (or sadly hacked) radio----with a completely unknown history. Worn parts. And the original 2000's are all getting up there in age too. After a decade or two it seems the domino effect sets in, with one component after another failing.

Anyway, I have to hear back from Cobra again and it's only been 2 days. Hoped to plant a seed of an idea at least with them. What do you guys think ? Do you think there would be enough/any interest ? Would you consider buying one ?

While growing up, I used to say that "someday", Detroit would again begin reproducing some of the older musclecar designs in "retro" versions. And indeed they've begun to do it, over the last couple of years! Well---what about some of the best all-time classic radios ??? Anyone ?

Cotton Mouth.

I'd love to have a brand new, unmolested 2000.

Maybe you should talk to RCI about this. It wasn't that long ago they were making the TR-296, which was an almost exact clone of the 8719 PLL dual conversion chassis used in the 2000. And they also were selling the TR-193, or something like that which was a clone of a previous Cobra base radio.

If they put out an updated version of the Cobra with blue leds, I think it could sell.

There is a real nice kit out now that will convert your old red lights on the 2000GTL over to Blue and you would never notice a difference as it appears to have that factory look still. They go for around $59.99 or $69.99 I can't remember for sure. Maybe you already knew that but just thought I would throw it out there for others in case.

Cotton mouth.

I don't think it could garner ENOUGH interest to make it profitable.

I don't get it myself. Not with the universe-Galaxy :D of exports available and the ever present ability to use a straight up ham rig on 11 meters.

The exports and ham rigs offer the the extra frequencies, bells & whistles and more power that you're not gonna get with 4-12 watt straight CB.

Absolutely none...zero...of the locals in my area or the truck drivers in my area are running stock CB's nor do they want one.

Small straight CB guts inside an oversize purdy box ?? ...... nah

But that's just me. Just one opinion. I realize that folks like what they like and want what they want.....it's all good.

Just like a cold beer on a hot summer day
2.gif
Stay thirsty my friends

There is a real nice kit out now that will convert your old red lights on the 2000GTL over to Blue and you would never notice a difference as it appears to have that factory look still. They go for around $59.99 or $69.99 I can't remember for sure. Maybe you already knew that but just thought I would throw it out there for others in case.

Cotton mouth.
check out my 2000 done up by sparky's. really like the blue lights. i think i'm gonna take the sticker off, though.

Last edited:
It's not a bad idea - if that company wants to make money. Just so long as they keep the original design as close as possible. Some carefully chosen upgrades to the original design may be needed - like a better power supply - or other immediate and well known defects.

Sure they coulds sell more radios if they were to re-issue them . Just so long as they don't make the cost so high as to keep people from buying them. That is key; as many export radios have more power and other features for less money. That is what Cobra will need to compete with - in this somewhat limited CB radio market. Will the cost of production outweigh the conservative spending public? It is an interesting thought - and Cobra can pull it off - if they play their cards right...

I doubt very seriously Uniden will ever build chassis for Cobra again so if Cobra brings back the 2000,the quality will probably fall into the 150/200 gtl category(junk).:)

I think that would be the real kicker. The Uniden boards were what made radios of that vintage what they were. Today you just can't get that quality in a citizen's band radio, or an "export, 10 meter radio" for that matter. The RCI boards are "OK", but they are not as rock solid dependable as the Uniden boards... and can Cobra muster up anything to rival or exceed the RCI boards? I'm betting NOT. So you would wind up with something that LOOKS like a Cobra 2000GTL of a bygone time, but without the "intestinal fortitude" to match up to its predecessors.

i doubt those same parts are still available to make one with these days . and after all the different revisione of the 150 and 200 its seems that are no longer capable of building a new radio from scratch that will hold up and perform . maybe somewhere way in the back of some wharehouse there are a few forgotten pallets of NOS 2000's .........
RCI seems to be hung up on adding bluetooth and mp3 players and video screens and other dumb useless stuff to their radios to build anything new thats worthwhile . newbs are so impressed with nitroknob type BS and that type of crap sells . i understand they have to make what will sell though . and i guess that why old radios fetch the prices they do because folks that buy them cant buy that kind of performance new .

seems someone at Uniden would have a clue that a SSB radio to go with the 68 and 78 series would be pretty well recieved ..... IF ..... they made it right .

the saddest thing is when cobra had uniden make the cobra 2000gtl why didn't they get an export version made with the pb010ab chassis in it,would have been the best selling base station ever made,especially with the success and legendary status of the pb010 cobra 148 gtl dx export mobile radio too boost its sales at that time.

if they were to remake it now as dwb212 says it would almost certainly be crap quality like the 150/200 gtl dx radios.if ranger rci were smart they would bring out a base station with the 2000 gtl looks and a modern pb010 clone circuit board,a sure fire winner.

no disrespect chop but those blue leds just don't do the 2000 gtl any justice at all.the sooner they go back to red led's and get shot of the faggoty blue ones in all radios the better.

its about time those who are making radios see that most users would rather have reliable quality performance than all the crappy gizmo's they are trying to put in radio's these days,mp3,usb,bluetooth,echo,talkback wtf???

get a decent processor,reliable outputs,stable oscillators,decent voltage regulation in them and actually aligned properly and on frequency would be nice,theres no denying backlighting is useful but it would be nice if it didn't howl like a f@cking banshee too.

no disrespect chop but those blue leds just don't do the 2000 gtl any justice at all.the sooner they go back to red led's and get shot of the faggoty blue ones in all radios the better.
no disrespect taken. i can appreciate someone's elses' opinion. i DO like the blue led's and i think they they look really great. but, my radio isn't just a blue lighted 2000 with a bunch of crap done to it. all i had done to it performance wise was a mild peak and tune, alignment and extra channels. it's no power monster, with pep numbers around 15-17w. great to run with my amp, though.

thats about what i get out of my washington and it gets all the clean power four 2879s can do . IMO even a washington/madison or 139/142 clone or copy built right would be very well recieved , without all of the bells and whistles of the 2000 . the 2000 is a beautiful peice of equipment though for sure !!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.