• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Brand New Texas Star DX500

Shasta69

Jan 18, 2011
NW @ 49th Parallel
Any ideas if these CW tranmitters are ready to be used for 11 meter radio amplification right out of the box?

I ask as I note they require a modification (ie. 28-29Mhz crystal) to be installed in the oscillallation board prior to their CW usage.

Thanks!

yes , they need to be converted .

Untitled Document

1. Unsolder the wire from the key jack on the rear panel near the fuse holders.
2. Locate the two standing capacitors (15pf and 33pf) near the relay and RFchoke. Unsolder and remove the wire from the tops of the capacitors. Separate and remove the 33pf capacitor leaving the 15pf in place. Resolder the standing end of the 15pf capacitor to the adjacent pad on the board. This pad also connects to a wire from the rear panel S0239 connector (Radio).
3. Remove the wire located directly behind the relay that connects to the oscillator board.
4. Unsolder and remove the large yellow capacitor (marked 2200K) connecting a pin on the AM push switch (green lens) to the oscillator board.
5. Locate the white block resistor and RF choke behind the meter. Unsolder and remove the 10 ohm resistor (brown-blk-blk) from the top of the 30K resistor (ora-blk-ora) beside the RF choke.
6. Locate the wire soldered to Pin 1 of the Power switch (red lens). Unsolder the grounded end of this wire, and solder it to the 10 ohm 2 watt resistor (brn-blk-blk) located directly under Pin 1 of the Power switch (red lens).
7. Unsolder and remove the oscillator board if desired.

Please Note the Warnings Below!

WARNING! This is a violation of FCC rules for Class D CB use in the U.S.A. The user is solely responsible for making sure that any modifications made to the unit must meet all Federal and State Regulations for the Country of use! Liability of damages to any equipment is the sole responsibility of the user! This information is not provided by, or affiliated in any way with the manufacturer of the products.

Finally got around to it and reports are very good with RCI 2950DX and Wilson 1K mag mount.

One question is: I can hear the relay clicking quite a bit as I talk while keyed up. The relay seems to click more, the longer I modulate. Doesn't matter if low or high power.

TS DX500 panel meter shows 90%, swr power meter shows 480-510 whiskeys, 10 gauge wire right to the battery (realize the need to go to 6-8 gauge supply wire), doesn't matter if engine is running or not. As I'm driving, I barely hear it the clicks. SWR is 1.1 flat from the highway to the triple nickel.

Reports don't make any mention of my transmissions wavering or cutting out.

Is this normal?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

SSB mode?
Do you have the SSB (yellow) button depressed?
That should allow the relay to "hold" for a bit in-between words.
If it is doing this on AM, , what do you have the un modulated dead key set at?
If it is set so low that it will not hold the relay in, you will need to bump the dead key a little.

Jeff

SSB mode? Yes

Do you have the SSB (yellow) button depressed? Yes, this yellow button (Delay) also provides me with the most whiskeys.

If it is doing this on AM, Yes, what do you have the un modulated dead key set at? Dead key on AM is 1w and swings to 28w when modulating. SSB is 0, when modualting swings to 30w.

If it is set so low that it will not hold the relay in, you will need to bump the dead key a little. That makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the quick turnaround on this question... thought maybe I missed something.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.