• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Broom stick antenna help

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Just spent two hours making this and it doesn't even receive 15mhz?? Did I do something wrong?
e3a7utyq.jpg

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Of course it receives 15 MHz.................just not very well obviously. :whistle:probably the thing that you did wrong was to choose such a design and expect it to work well. Remember when I said that size DOES matter when it comes to antennas. That was not just in relation to HT antennas.Did you check it against another antenna for propagation?

Of course it receives 15 MHz.................just not very well obviously. :whistle:probably the thing that you did wrong was to choose such a design and expect it to work well. Remember when I said that size DOES matter when it comes to antennas. That was not just in relation to HT antennas.Did you check it against another antenna for propagation?

Yup, 10m 27' vert rx 15ok its fading in and out a lot so maybe tonight ill try the antenna outside on the lower hf bands.

Any other sw home brew antennas I can build im up to it...just no room for a dipole :(

★ Sent from my Droid★

Keep it simple and get as much wire as you can in the air, zig-zag it, loop it, run vertical/horizontal, just get as much as you can up.

ha! am i stupid~ the batterys were just about gone in the radio, antenna works on my desk just as good as the 10m vert 30' in the air a few S units are missing but nothing to go bonkers over. i think am going to plasti dip the whole antenna and mount it on the roof somewhere.

next i want to make a DELTA loop

thought this was a funny illustration

takesallsummer.png

It almost looks like a big stack of pennies. Glad you got it figured out.... seems like it is always the simple stuff that bites ya.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
It almost looks like a big stack of pennies. Glad you got it figured out.... seems like it is always the simple stuff that bites ya.

RT307

Yeap. Took it in the back yard works great outside. Plastidipped it black left the caphat silver. Looks good iant ideal for inside but it works and was cheap to make

★ Sent from my Droid★

*UpDaTe*

Does anyone know if this is a good antenna to use with a tuner for 20m-10m for 'local dx" only? AWG = 18

Notice: Top hat is soldered to wire and screw joint.

Try it for such, and then you tell us if it's good for that 'local Dx' stuff. That's what most people do, I think.
- 'Doc

Hmm........that looks remarkably like the old trash can lid antenna we built in the late 60's.

(If I was Apple, I would sue you) ;-)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.