• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning Golden Eagle no Keyup.

Jimbo165

Jun 1, 2012
Southeastern Michigan
I just got a Golden Eagle and I have no key up on transmitter, checked tubes, Microphone and do not see anything burnt or fried. It has a 110VDC relay but I do not know how to test it have no 110vdc supply. Any ideas on what to look for?? Thanks Jimbo

Jimbo check the mic wiring, only three wires on that old browning simple circuit.

Schematics available at CB tricks website.

you can use your multimeter or DVM to check the coil on the relay. this should let you know if relay is good or not.

Resistance check.

you can use your multimeter or DVM to check the coil on the relay. this should let you know if relay is good or not.

Resistance check.
I checked relay coil put multimeter on ohm setting touched coil in and out and meter showed nothing so I think it is shorted out. Thanks wavrider you have always been a great help here on this forum.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Does the "On the air" red display lamp illuminate when you try to transmit?

Just be careful around that mic wiring. There are 414 volts on that mic line!
Thanks Atlasta I checked voltages and seen that wondered if that was to high the Sams book on it shows no voltages and that looks like what is going to side of relay coil is that to much?. Wavrider I just jumpered two wires from old relay still hooked up to new one and it works on keying mic so relay is problem. BB this is a Golden Eagle and it has no on air square light like the later ones.

good deal jimbo hope it all works out for you.

Someone here on the forum stocks NOS parts for the browning s, I forgot who it is but I purchased some parts from him and good prices for my old Mark 3

Reactions: Jimbo165
Glad you've found the fix, Jimbo. And by the way, the old one isn't "shorted out". If the resistance check of the coil showed no movement of the ohmmeter, it's "open". Picky, yes, but when trying to troubleshoot over the internet, using the right term helps a lot! 73

Reactions: Jimbo165
Someone here on the forum stocks NOS parts for the browning s, I forgot who it is but I purchased some parts from him and good prices for my old Mark 3

If anyone has NOS parts for a Browning it's probably Greg Barkett- The man who likes Browning and Trams so much that he bought all remaining stock of parts when the companies went out of business.

If you need it he probably has it... http://stores.goldeneagleradios.com/

Put the relay in and radio keying like it should. Wavrider I did also found a problem with microphone it was a powered D-104 and causing radio to have a squeal during keyup .Thank you wavrider and others for your help. Jimbo 165

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.