• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Buckmaster 8 Band OCF QUESTION

I wouldn't say we are cheap asses here simply because we think the antenna in question is WAAAY overpriced. Not at all. I don't care what kind of wire the guy uses unless it is solid silver or gold, 270 feet of wire, a few connectors and a balun are NOT worth $272 for a 300 watt version and an even more astounding $518 for a 5000 watt version. Sorry but 14 gauge wire will handle 5 Kw so the only real difference is in the wire size and core for the balun at the feedpoint. I am far from being cheap, in fact I could stand to be a little cheaper in some of my acquisitions however the one thing I refuse to buy is a wire antenna......any wire antenna. For a fraction of the cost I can make one that works just as well and learn a little while doing it and then have the satisfaction of making contacts using something I built myself. After that I can take the money I saved and spend it on another classic hybrid rig or shack accessory. IMHO buying a wire antenna is akin to buying popcorn at the movies. You know you are getting screwed by buying some way over priced thing yet you just cannot resist the temptation to try it.

Cheapasses being a relative term, the majority of the people buying these antennas will not even put them up themselves. We're talking about a totally different demographic here. I would venture to say the majority of the people buying them do not even frequent a forum like this for info..QRZ maybe, but not here.
Either way, the marketing works, I wouldn't pay the price myself, and I can get it at a significant discount if I go to the shop and help build/package the things. He's selling dozens a week, so they're going somewhere, not bad for a guy with a couple employees building the things in a 6 car garage turned warehouse/factory. A fair amount of modeling/engineering has gone into the things, so something is paying off here.*shrug*

I bought the Buxcomm OCF windom,same antenna as the Buckmaster but at half the price....Yea I know still 120$ for an OFC windom is still high dollar.... but if you are unsure of your antenna building abilities not a bad antenna,and does a good job without the need for an external tuner.

The internal tuner in my radio has no trouble loading up the antenna,and that was what I was after

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.