• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Buddypole dipole help needed.

Mochunk

Sep 17, 2014
Looking to build a buddypole style dipole out of top loaded whips.

Follow along amd help me determine if this would work.

Two identical whips with mirror mounts. One connected, isolated, one not and non-isolated. One to each mirror mount plate and then bolted to each other opposite. Plug in 18' of coax and go?

Would I be able to simply set this on my window sill horizontally? Or would it being up against the building be useless?

Basically, stuck in a first floor condo and trying to get something stealth I can have sit right out the window that shouldn't draw much attention to talk to locals within a 2 mile radius. No roof access and all brick building. Am I way off base?

It will work as a dipole but the effectiveness will be affected by how close it is to surrounding objects, as well as mounting height.

If you really want to try this type of antenna setup out, save yourself some trouble and just buy a mount / clamp like this:

eBay item #191332881615

Last edited:
Reactions: tba02
If you really want to try this type of antenna setup out, save yourself some trouble and just buy a mount / clamp like this:

Yup - I made one from simpson "T"'s and connectors for fun, but it cost about the same and requires tools/bits/connectors. Just as easy to by the one mentioned - which I was going to but my local shop was out of them and I had free time that weekend and didn't want to wait.

BTW - 2x108"whips want to be at least 15ft above ground.

It will work as a dipole but the effectiveness will be affected by how close it is to surrounding objects, as well as mounting height.

eBay item #191332881615

Meleculo, I know these brackets can work to make a nice dipole, but how does this mount setup noted in the image work with the coax hanging down parallel and real close to the mast, and the element that is pointing down doing the same...being real close and parallel to the mast?

Or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Meleculo, I know these brackets can work to make a nice dipole, but how does this mount setup noted in the image work with the coax hanging down parallel and real close to the mast, and the element that is pointing down doing the same...being real close and parallel to the mast?

Or am I missing something?

The picture is misleading and has the mount oriented a vertical position which would not be good at all.. The position of the u bolts should be changed so that the dipole is horizontal and the coax runs perpendicular to the dipole and parallel to the mast. You can run the coax along the mast and even tape it/secure it to the mast with no effect at all.

Reactions: Marconi
If you want to run it vertical, you should probably use some type of non-metallic top section of the mast, or at least use a standoff to get it away from the mast a bit. A 1:1 current balun or at least a choke would be a good idea on the coax, in an attempt to isolate it from the antenna.

I've run a vertical dipole on 2 meters on many occasions and have had no problems getting it to work, although I have had to fool around with the coax to decouple it from the antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.