• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

budget antenna suggestions

well , if you build a 1/4 wave ground plane with sloped radials it will be about 16 to 14 feet tall and it should tune to 1.1 or very close to it . if you do horizontal elements it will only be about 9 feet tall and will still tune to about 1.3 . still completely acceptable if the person isnt a needle watcher . but , you have a 14 - 16 foot diameter for the ground elements to spread out . no biggy for most folks .

With my custom 89xlr on its way in a few days, and with the little one down for a nap. I'm now trying to figure out what antenna is right for me. I haven't asked my landlord if it is okay, but i am almost positive he wont care, as long as it does not look too much like an eyesore.

I'm trying to stay under the $40 range. We have a nice size tree in our backyard and was thinking of a dipole, but i do not have any experience with them. If i do choose dipole, would i be able to rig it up in the tree with no problems? I'm just worried that a dipole could get all tangled up if we get some strong winds. I've seen those "mini" base antennas online, but i do not want to loose out on performance just because i wanted to save $20.

Any ideas or suggestions? ..

In your position I would seek out a good used IMAX 2000 and paint / refinish it if necessary since they tend to get a bit 'hairy' after a number of years in the elements. Just make sure it is intact and not splitting, especially in the lower 2 sections, and not spinning in the metal base bracket. You should be able to find one for ~$50 in decent used condition and will see a reasonable increase in performance over a dipole, if you can stomach a 24' tall antenna.

I'm about to help a friend re-fiberglass his and I believe we're going to turn it into a permanent 24' solid pole like a Phelps-Dodge Stationmaster by coating the entire antenna with a 1/4" of fiberglass & resin, making it a solid long-lasting one-piece monster.

I was running my IMAX with 89' of RG-213 and I added a 23' guy wire to an insulator from my top U-bolt and saw an incredibly wide swr, flat for 5-6 megs!

Have fun!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.