• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Built an antenna launcher

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
Well I was getting tired of trying to throw heavy objects with rope attached to them, a few times I nearly smacked myself in the head, lost plenty of wrenches, old speakers and sockets in the trees, and guess what over a year later they are still up there... lol To top it off I recently went threw back surgery (03/07/2013, single level discectomy) and throwing heavy objects, or climbing trees was OUT OF THE QUESTION...

I know this is not a new idea, just thought I would show it off, maybe it will help someone

On my first test the lead sinker broke loose and flew over my 80ft tall oak tree... lol, the second test I went 10-15ft obve the tip of my Workman W58 (maco v5/8 clone) and that thing is around 55-60ft at the tip, but the line stayed intact

PICTURES:

http://s759.photobucket.com/user/ericfx1984/library/Antenna Launcher

Parts List:

Zebco 202 fishing reel, only comes with 10lbs test line, but if you are careful it will work just fine, plus you can always put 15-20lbs line on it later, you can use other reels, even open face, but this was only $5 at Bass Pro shop

Cost $5

Trumark FS-1 slingshot, or similar, the most important thing is that it has the arm brace, or what ever it's called you can use whatever brand you want, but this was only $12 at Bass Pro, still cheaper than wally world

Cost $12

3/4 PVC, sch40, should be no more than $2, you will only need around 1.5 - 2ft, the rest can be used for another project

a few hose clamps, some zip ties, and/or electrical/duct tape and you are up and funny

1oz lead fishing weights, I got a pack of 8 for $3.50, BUT that is really not part of the construction

--------

Update on POST #3

Last edited:

I just made it a little more compact, thank you google images!!!

Best part is it takes up a lot less space and looks great now... however it isd a little more cumbersome to operate, but it seems like I can still get just as high as before, however the reel in is a little easier than before, but the launch is a little more trouble, so it's a trade off

also I just figured out that the hand grip has a storage compartment, and it can fit 4-6 1oz sinker weights :)

but THIS version might even be nice enough to sell on EBAY :)

Antenna Launcher Part2 Photos by ericfx1984 | Photobucket

Reactions: 1 person
I just use my home made spud cannon. I use a screw eye screwed into a large heavy drywall anchor that is in turn screwed into a potato. I have to leave LOTS of slack line and I use mason's line. I have to use a really small charge to get it over the 60 foot high oak trees which is really hard to do as it uses fuel like hairspray or WD-40 and gauging how much is hard. A full charge would put it over a giant sequoia with ease. :eek: I also get to have fun with it in the antenna off season. :D

Sorry for the crappy image. i just used my cell phone and was too lazy to get the camera gear all out and set up.

The back screws off to spray in the fuel and the red button is a BBQ igniter aka firing button.

spudgun.jpg

Last edited:
I made a similar wire launcher with a cheap fishing reel and slingshot from Walmart. Works great and costs a lot less than the commercially available versions.

just shot clean over the oak tree, ran out of rope on the way up, the rope was 75ft long at it had to be about 25 foot off the ground before I realized what was going on... hahaha

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.