• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Built an Astroplane in an afternoon.

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
I put this together in about 4 hours because I wanted to see what results could be had from such a thing. First time up the SWR on 40 is 1.4:1 and on ch1 it is 1.9:1. Talked and receives just fine. More later. Gotta go back to work.

4913.jpg

All the weird curves is my camera doing strange things again? ? ?

Reactions: 1 person

Worked on it little more. I had the top bracket too wide, so I replaced it with sturdier aluminum stock (second u-clamp wasn't on it yet in the photo), and adjusted the width a little more at the mid bracket. SWR is closer now - on ch40 1.2:1 and on ch1 1.4:1.

Getting there. I probably won't make this a keeper, just a for funner. I'll likely let it go to a friend for cost of parts. Just a little more . . .

4914.jpg
4915.jpg

4917.jpg

A little more tinkering done. SWR 1.1:1 at 40 and 1.

Some contacts a few minutes ago with bottom ring mounted 20' in the air.

3030 --------------------------------- 26.695 AM NC
7440 --------------------------------- 27.385 LSB
WR077 ------------------------------ 27.385 LSB GA
206 ---------------------------------- 27.385 LSB TN
619 ---------------------------------- 27.385 LSB KY
662 ---------------------------------- 27.385 LSB Lake Erie
Rusty Nail ------------------------- 27.125 AM

Others I didn't write down.

Way to go Homer.

Where did you mount it? Were you able to compare (switch) it to anything else at a particular moment in time.

No I can't switch off to anything else right now.

It's about 40 feet or more away from the mast the Qv4k and Yagi are on mounted on a layover pole 20' tall.

I may get it on the mast later, but we'll have to see.

I'll likely be turning it over to a friend who needs an antenna. He'll either buy aluminum tubing to add durability, and pay me for the current costs, or just pay me what the materials cost in it as is.
Before then, I'll play with it a few days.

One of my purposes in making this AP was to show that an antenna can be done on a very tight budget that performs admirably well. Everything on this antenna was purchased at Home Depot. Some things, like the roll of tape, and the aluminum flat stock, cost more than the figures to purchase, but the cost is prorated to reflect the amount of each that went into the project. While i might would replace the tubing with aluminum tubing if I wanted maximum durability over the long haul, that in no way means that this homebrew AP is taking a backseat to any other antenna performance-wise for those who need a budget product.

cost of materials:

top hat rods ----------------- 4.00
aluminum plate ------------ 3.50
u-bolts ------------------------ 5.00
screws ----------------------- 0.75
PEX tube --------------------- 2.50
CPVC tubes ----------------- 4.65
CPVC tees ------------------- 2.00
Aluminum tape ------------- 2.00
3/8"x4' fb rod ----------------- 1.00

The center mast pipe is what ever mast you use. I already had it and the fellow who gets this antenna will get his own or pay me to replace the pipe i have.

Sweet work Homer!!! (y)

Even if the person that gets this item does not go with something more rugged, it certainly would not be very much to repair or replace the entire thing. :laugh:

Last edited:
Thank you, Sir.

Set up outside under my umbrella (too #&*#$^@%$ hot otherwise) I put the MFJ209 and the frequency counter in lline and this is what it says.

2.0:1 ------------------------ 29.695
1.0:1 ------------------------ 27.875
1.1:1 ------------------------ 27.405
1.2:1 ------------------------ 27.205
1.5:1 ------------------------ 26.695
2.0:1 ------------------------ 26.415

The setup testing:

4919.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.