• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

by pass crystal trimmers?

440denver

Jan 19, 2009
Can you by-pass crystal trimmers with "respectable" results? I have a rig that someone got into and twisted all the crystal trimmers out of whack.Since I don't have a frequency counter on hand I was wondering if I could just pull and by-pass the trimmers and let the crystals do their thing.I figure it has to be closer than it is now.

What kind of radio is it? You might be able to scrape by on the loop mixer Xtal, but that's pushing it. Better off to have a tech re-align the trimmers, or purchase/borrow a frequency counter, and line them up yourself. I've tried it in the past, and most of the time the results are not favorable. :thumbdown:

Good luck!

If it is just the main operating frequency crystals that have had the trimmers screwed then it shouldn't be that big of a problem to cure. What kind of radio is it? If you have even half an idea of what to do you could use a second radio as a reference and tune it by ear. It would surely be better than it is now. BTW, if you bypassed the trimmers the crystals would be really far off frequency and some may not even operate depending on how old they are and what kind of circuit they are in. Leave them in there and align the radio.

What kind of radio is it? You might be able to scrape by on the loop mixer Xtal, but that's pushing it. Better off to have a tech re-align the trimmers, or purchase/borrow a frequency counter, and line them up yourself. I've tried it in the past, and most of the time the results are not favorable. :thumbdown:

Good luck!

Thank's for the info.It's trc-449(858).I was just curious if anyone had ever tried this before.I
'll probably just have to get a counter.Thank's again.Alex.

If it is just the main operating frequency crystals that have had the trimmers screwed then it shouldn't be that big of a problem to cure. What kind of radio is it? If you have even half an idea of what to do you could use a second radio as a reference and tune it by ear. It would surely be better than it is now. BTW, if you bypassed the trimmers the crystals would be really far off frequency and some may not even operate depending on how old they are and what kind of circuit they are in. Leave them in there and align the radio.

Thank's for the info.Radio is a trc-449(858).I could just do it by ear but I don't have another sideband radio handy and even if I did it would be impossible to know if that radio is even on frequency.I'll just have to get a counter and re-allign it.Thank's again,Alex.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.